Corfu

houst69

Striker
I am in Sidari in Corfu at the minute and I have to say its a f***ing minging place like.

Dirt tracks for roads, rubbish piling up in the streets, stray dogs and cats all ower, evidence of a serious fly tipping problem when travelling throughout the island.

Drains are f***ing stinking too and the amount of abandoned cars lying about is unreal.

Are all greek islands like this?

PS Forgot to mention mosquitos, the bastards

I am in Sidari in Corfu at the minute and I have to say its a f***ing minging place like.

Dirt tracks for roads, rubbish piling up in the streets, stray dogs and cats all ower, evidence of a serious fly tipping problem when travelling throughout the island.

Drains are f***ing stinking too and the amount of abandoned cars lying about is unreal.

It's been raining alot here.

Its such a shame as Corfu is a beautiful island overall. We have holidayed there (in various resorts) 4 or 5 times over the last 8 years and the rubbish situation was very noticeable last summer. I dont know whats causing it? Never been to Sidari so cant comment on what its like there, but there are nice parts to the island, in particular Paleokastrisa which is stunning.

Never been there but Zakynthos and Crete were generally clean and tidy. Can't remember the drains being stinky. They had mozzies but not a great deal of them and a squirt of mozzie spray was enough to avoid bites.

A lad at work was in Zante and overheard an argument, it was a restaurant owner having a go at a councillor about the state of the rubbish.

It’s going to be a problem on any Greek Island throughout the peak season to some degree.

The roads are fine there though, getting out and about is a must, out of town the traffic is minimal so perfect for hiring a car, buggy or quad.

Been to Sidari in the last few years. There is/was and always has been a smell problem with the river running to the sea and i'm sure there's still an ongoing garbage collection problem with the workers.

Corfu is the worst place I've visited for getting mozzie bites, despite using industrial strength spray.

My neighbour reckons that the authorities used to zap the fuckers by spraying them from the air on a regular basis, until the environmentalists managed to put a stop to this.

He also said that they decided to introduce a type of wasp to the island to eat them instead, but that hasn't worked because they don't find them tasty enough, so left them alone.

That's why he reckons the place is now infested with both mozzies and wasps!

Sidari and Kavos are the Blackpools of Corfu. Get yourself round to Agios Stefanos. About a 10 minute drive from Sidari. It's like chalk and cheese. I think the rubbish problem is caused by a dispute with the workers and the authorities, been ongoing for a couple of years now.

The rubbish problem is because Corfu don’t now have a landfill now for rubbish and there is a long-standing issue about paying to have the rubbish taken elsewhere.
K3NA is right , you’re staying close to some lovely places on the NW coast .
If you’re getting bitten by mosquitoes you need to get some repellent locally

Off to Corfu soon for a few days. I'm hoping the mosquitoes aren't too bad because they love me. Have bought some holiday trousers specially even though I prefer dresses.

Off to Corfu soon for a few days. I'm hoping the mosquitoes aren't too bad because they love me. Have bought some holiday trousers specially even though I prefer dresses.
From what I remember it depends on the area you are going to, we walked back from Acharavi to Roda and I got bitten to hell and back, ended up at A&E when got back to the UK.

I'm in Messonghi now, mossies not too bad, the wife has had a couple of bites but they normally love her, wasps all over though, little bastards.

Drove through Sidari about 20 years ago, looked awful but plenty of people like that type of place though.I prefer the resorts on the west coast of the island but I'm getting on a bit now and they are far more relaxing and quiet.

Back