Copt hill pub

It's a bit like football ,constant change and a 1/3 the budget needed to give it a chance spent and you just paper over cracks . Its not a "local" location so its needs to go for the bait/driving mob which means ,top quality inside and chefs
I think the brewery are conning people into taking it on until the SxSW expansion of Sunderland reaches that far out. THEN they’ll spend money on it.

The Burn was okay but I thought the Mill was the better of the two. I was in the Mill about three years ago and it felt like it had gone right down hill; I was glad to see it had picked up.
It is more of a proper pub. The bar doesn’t get busy like it used to. Rammed on weekends/Christmas back in the day.

In a tough location. Can't no longer rely on people having a few pints and then driving home like it used to years ago, not really got a big local crowd and not en route to any town centres/drinking spots.

Throw the usually brewery crap on top and it's very difficult to make money from those bars unless you're gonna bump the brewery after a few months and just take what you can but even then the pub is screwed.

A marra was in recently, said it was full of feral bairns and hall lane chav types including a couple of lasses wearing pyjama bottoms. Used to be a class spot once upon a time but if that's the level of clientele now anyone who takes it on is in for a rough ride.

Last edited:
It is more of a proper pub. The bar doesn’t get busy like it used to. Rammed on weekends/Christmas back in the day.
The Mill was a cracking pub back mid to late 90s. Was in most days and played for their Sunday league team. Not been in for years now like barring a random Sunday dinner a while back. The Burn has been neither here nor summit for years as far as I can tell sadly.
The Copt Hill has never been the same since Richie had it. Last time it was any good.

Last edited:
I dont know the pub, but it sounds like a pub near me. Always changing hands, no one makes a go of it....

Last landlord in the pub I'm on about told me early on that his plan was to do "a year tops". Brewery was offering incentives to new tenants for a year then a "review". He would take pubs for a year, on a tiny rent with favourable prices on his beer, run them with his wife and minimal staff then, then when the pricing review came in a year later... it'd be "thanks but no thanks" and he'd tell everyone the brewery were asking too much rent etc and on to the next one on favourable terms.

He'd done it in 5 or 6 local pubs. Could be the same kind of setup there

That's a good thing. Its happening everywhere sadly, so if the management and staff are onto it I'd take that as a good sign.
It helps when your family are in the police I guess and you can threaten people with that, other pubs don’t have that luxury. I like the burn tbh. Prices are better than the Mill and beer is nice

Sounded as though it'd become dog rough up there.

Needs proper investment with good bait.
Was gutted the Chilton went to pot. The last couple who were in there seemed to be making a decent go of it, the food had improved, and it was canny with a Friday night turn before lock down.

Last edited:

Back