Copenhagen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going there next week for a few days, what's best to see and do? I've currently got nothing planned yet other than a gig on one of the nights and some alternative Copenhagen tour so I'm after some inspiration.

Best places for a few beers? Cheap(ish) places to eat? What attractions are actually worth a visit?

Would welcome any advice that isn't just the usual tourist spots too.

Cheers.

in4this.

Going there in June for a few days before going to Malmo for a conference.

Any tips, hew, @alexander?

I live pretty much as far from the capital as I probably could do and rarely go there, am afraid. @mini-x2 is a much better person to ask about the place. There was a thread about pubs and stuff some time back with decent suggestions. Let me have a look, one sec.

But I do recommend visiting Christania. It is well worth a visit. But please, do not take any photos while there.

Edit: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/copenhagen.666401/

I live pretty much as far from the capital as I probably could do and rarely go there, am afraid. @mini-x2 is a much better person to ask about the place. There was a thread about pubs and stuff some time back with decent suggestions. Let me have a look, one sec.

But I do recommend visiting Christania. It is well worth a visit. But please, do not take any photos while there.
Does she take it up the wrongun?

Why no photos like?

I'm aware of the place and what it's all about but why no pictures?

I'm going there next week for a few days, what's best to see and do? I've currently got nothing planned yet other than a gig on one of the nights and some alternative Copenhagen tour so I'm after some inspiration.

Best places for a few beers? Cheap(ish) places to eat? What attractions are actually worth a visit?

Would welcome any advice that isn't just the usual tourist spots too.

Cheers.

its a class city. we rented bikes and seen loads of the city, its set up perfect for cycling. try and have a look at Freetown Christiania - its an old army base that has been took over by hippies since the 70's, its a bit like Glastonbury meets a commune, openly smoking herb and tunes on, loads of nice food and a lovely lake and that. its about 5 minutes by bike from the centre

also google 'paper island copenhagen' its a street food / drink / market / art place in an old warehouse on the river side, only open thursday-sunday i think but its class. had an afternoon there eating and drinking away, everything is quality. had some DJ's on aswel.

theres some class bars. theres one called the Kayak bar which is under a bridge and has a floating Sauna on the river that you can use for free if you have a pint. then when you are boiling jump out and straight into the icy water to cool off and straight back into the suana. fits about 20 people and its good crack and nice way to meet (half naked) people.

try The Bastard Cafe aswel, its a 4 story bar with all sorts going on inside. lots of professional board game players and nice drinks.

Tivoli gardens looked class but was shut when i was there. its a proper old school theme park right in the centre of town. looks like a fantasy world inside. if its open go and have a look.

keep out of the centre if you want to have a drink, as its pricey and can be a bit 'posh' - they love their design

go to Vesterbro (west of the town centre) for proper bars (bodegas) where you can smoke inside, lots of dodgy characters around at night if you want hookers and blow its a doddle. some class bars in that area. this is where our appartment was and it was class

defo hire bikes though if you can. the city is built for cycling. we loved it, dying to go back

its a class city. we rented bikes and seen loads of the city, its set up perfect for cycling. try and have a look at Freetown Christiania - its an old army base that has been took over by hippies since the 70's, its a bit like Glastonbury meets a commune, openly smoking herb and tunes on, loads of nice food and a lovely lake and that. its about 5 minutes by bike from the centre

also google 'paper island copenhagen' its a street food / drink / market / art place in an old warehouse on the river side, only open thursday-sunday i think but its class. had an afternoon there eating and drinking away, everything is quality. had some DJ's on aswel.

theres some class bars. theres one called the Kayak bar which is under a bridge and has a floating Sauna on the river that you can use for free if you have a pint. then when you are boiling jump out and straight into the icy water to cool off and straight back into the suana. fits about 20 people and its good crack and nice way to meet (half naked) people.

try The Bastard Cafe aswel, its a 4 story bar with all sorts going on inside. lots of professional board game players and nice drinks.

Tivoli gardens looked class but was shut when i was there. its a proper old school theme park right in the centre of town. looks like a fantasy world inside. if its open go and have a look.

keep out of the centre if you want to have a drink, as its pricey and can be a bit 'posh' - they love their design

go to Vesterbro (west of the town centre) for proper bars (bodegas) where you can smoke inside, lots of dodgy characters around at night if you want hookers and blow its a doddle. some class bars in that area. this is where our appartment was and it was class

defo hire bikes though if you can. the city is built for cycling. we loved it, dying to go back
Cheers mate that's really useful! I'm going to a gig at Loppen in Christiania so I'll be sure to have a look around beforehand.

Why no photos like?

Undercover police trying to nab drug dealers?

Cheers mate that's really useful! I'm going to a gig at Loppen in Christiania so I'll be sure to have a look around beforehand.

aye its good like but have your wits about you and dont be a dickhead basically. i think they make their living off tourism so are quite welcoming, but i heard it can be sketchy at night. there are little to no paths inside and no street lights. we had a little smoke and some lovely food

Why no photos like?

They have a strict rule in place with no photos allowed to be taken. Unknowing tourists have been known to have their cameras smashed while there. They value their privacy, which is understandable at a place like that, I guess. Very nice place otherwise, though and well worth a visit. Green area with lakes and lovely houses. And unless you take out the camera the folks living there are friendly and pretty chilled.

They have a strict rule in place with no photos allowed to be taken. Unknowing tourists have been known to have their cameras smashed while there. They value their privacy, which is understandable at a place like that, I guess. Very nice place otherwise, though and well worth a visit. Green area with lakes and lovely houses. And unless you take out the camera the folks living there are friendly and pretty chilled.
Weird :lol:

aye its good like but have your wits about you and dont be a dickhead basically. i think they make their living off tourism so are quite welcoming, but i heard it can be sketchy at night. there are little to no paths inside and no street lights. we had a little smoke and some lovely food

I'm going alone so going on like a prat is off the agenda unfortunately. ;)

I'd agree with @mini-x2 tip of the Bang og Jensen bar.
Oldbarren is a cracking little bar that @Bob Fleming recommended. Got canny tipsy on some 8% gear.

I thought Tivoli Gardens was a bit disappointing but the Carlsberg Brewery was worth a visit. I stopped at Isle Brygge and enjoyed just walking by the river into the city centre.

Slightly off topic but I searched for my old threads on the subject. My God what an annoying cretin that Johnna was. Can't ask a simple question without that gobshite polluting the thread.

Istedgade - prozzies
Nyhavn at the end of Strøget
Norrebro - wine bars
Kødbyen for a nice night out
Christiania for a nice brownie

I went in April, class city.

Did the Carlsberg Musuem, Tivoli and Christiania which I'd recommend. The National Museum was pretty good too.

Plenty of great bars and restaurants, can't really go wrong tbh.

Christiania for sure, unlike the centre of town the beer is reasonably priced. Not into the smokes myself but well worth a visit. And as previous post said, National Museum very good.
Also go over to Malmo on the train just cos you can! I was lucky enough to be there a couple of summers ago when they had a match in a Champions League Prelim round so the place was buzzing. There's the usual European town square with a few bars and cafes, very nice.

Christiania for sure, unlike the centre of town the beer is reasonably priced. Not into the smokes myself but well worth a visit.
Also go over to Malmo on the train just cos you can! I was lucky enough to be there a couple of summers ago when they had a match in a Champions League Prelim round so the town was buzzing. There's the usual European town square with a few bars and cafes, very nice.

If you would like to add to Malmo suggestions feel free there marra, that's the ultimate destination of my trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back