Coolest Generation

I think personally for me being born around 1946 would have worked out best for me. Would have missed the war and whilst childhood might have been hit with severe poverty the 50s was meant to be a good decade for family values and all that.

But mainly I would have been hitting adulthood for around 63/64 and the next decade would have been amazing on a few fronts.

One, I'd get to see England win the World Cup and Sunderland win the FA Cup.

Music wise you have an implosion both sides of the water - Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Sabbath, Who, Floyd, Zeppelin etc in the UK and then Summer of Love - Beach Boys, Doors, Hendrix Janis, Grateful Dead etc from the Americans.

Would still only be in 30s for the Punk scene as well plus you'd get the option to hit up the festivals when they were new and we'll different to what they are now.

Then in cinema over a few decades I'm gonna be able to go see a load of classics when they first came out - Godfather, 2001, Blade Runner, Taxi Driver, Man With No Name Trilogy, Spartacus, Connery Bonds etc

In UK so I don't have to get pulled into the Vietnam shitstorm.

I dunno, just seems spot on timing for everything I like.

Born in 1973 and wouldn’t change that. Music from 85-89 was pretty shit though.
Me too.
New Order, The Smiths, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, Inspiral Carpets, Charlatans etc. And that's just 1 city

85 to 91 was amazing
Pixies, Dinosaur Jr, Jamc, Bunnymen, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, TFC,
I could go on and on.
Great time to be getting into music

I think personally for me being born around 1946 would have worked out best for me. Would have missed the war and whilst childhood might have been hit with severe poverty the 50s was meant to be a good decade for family values and all that.

But mainly I would have been hitting adulthood for around 63/64 and the next decade would have been amazing on a few fronts.

One, I'd get to see England win the World Cup and Sunderland win the FA Cup.

Music wise you have an implosion both sides of the water - Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Sabbath, Who, Floyd, Zeppelin etc in the UK and then Summer of Love - Beach Boys, Doors, Hendrix Janis, Grateful Dead etc from the Americans.

Would still only be in 30s for the Punk scene as well plus you'd get the option to hit up the festivals when they were new and we'll different to what they are now.

Then in cinema over a few decades I'm gonna be able to go see a load of classics when they first came out - Godfather, 2001, Blade Runner, Taxi Driver, Man With No Name Trilogy, Spartacus, Connery Bonds etc

In UK so I don't have to get pulled into the Vietnam shitstorm.

I dunno, just seems spot on timing for everything I like.
I was born in 1952, so I enjoyed all of that and they were good times.

Love this little curio. Released in 1981
May bring back a few memories

There is no coolest generation.
'Every generation throws a hero up the pop chart' - Paul Simon

Nothing cool about it but I would suggest the most admirable were those who lived, suffered, and fought through World War 2.
(Mind you, they did have Vera Lynne to put up with)

Last edited:
70’s for me.

Mods, rockers, punks, skins and still a few teddy boys floating about. 80’s was good (my generation) but started the decline into pointless pop and the loss of individuality.

Love this little curio. Released in 1981
May bring back a few memories

There is no coolest generation.
'Every generation throws a hero up the pop chart' - Paul Simon

Nothing cool about it but I would suggest the most admirable were those who lived, suffered, and fought through World War 2.
(Mind you, they did have Vera Lynne to put up with)
Even though I was born 21 years after WW2 ended I actually felt a bit sad when Vera Lynn died last year.

Born 1947 and quite satisfied with the music that followed except for the spitting Punk era. I know a lot enjoyed it, Jeremy Vine for instance, but to me it was a loud screeching noise. I tried to sit through a punk rock programme recently but it was still shite. 😀

Put it this way I wouldn’t have wanted to have been born any other time than when I was. Perfect age for experiencing everything.
:cool:

Early to mid 50’s America and birth of Rock n roll generation.

Late 60’s New York, Warhol’s Factory, Velvet Underground etc.

London late 70’s. The end of punk and beginning of new romantic / blitz generation.

Chicago - early mid 80’s birth of House.

I'd say the living WW2 survivors, whether military or civilian, are easily the coolest.

Is the only correct answer. A generation that grew up in the great depression, came of age during WW2 and fought against fascism, then were integral to the post war boom (if they had not been buried in Europe, Africa or the Far east).

Just finished reading Stephen Ambrose - Pegasus Bridge about the first troops to land on D-Day (British Glider-borne troops). Balls the size of watermelons.

90s obviously 😎

70s kid here.

We managed to survive the 70s despite no health and safety
Good introduction to 60s and 70s music from parents.
We remember a time before technology so can still live without it
We were teenagers/early 20s in the 90s so got to enjoy Italia 90, Euro 96 as adults and the rise of indie music as adults
Got free University education

Back