Coolest Generation

83, I’m glad we missed it. The 90s were the boy, but we missed out on the Beatles, stones, who & kinks from the 60s & Pistols, Clash. Slade & Trex in the 70s.

There’s only the Pogues in the 80s

Joshua Tree is up there like
Pogues, Billy Bragg, Jam/Style Council (a bit), Jesus and Mary Chain, Smiths, Fall, JD/NO and sneaking in right at the end Stone Roses. 90s? Pah!

Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Joni Mitchell, the Stones, the Beatles, Cream, The Velvet Underground, The Beach Boys, The Golden age of MoTown, Stevie Wonder, early Van Morrison, John Coltrane and Miles Davis then books like Catch 22, One flew over the Cuckoos nest, To Kill a Mockingbird. Magazines like International Times and OZ, Acid and blow for the hippies and speed for the mods and skinheads, Free Concerts in the Park, Woodstock, colour TV, the moon landing, Midnight Cowboy and Easy Rider on at the Odeon. The reign of King Charlie, Monty, Cloughie in there as a player, probably Jim Baxter a bit later.
16 in 67 and the Summer of Lurv ... The Invention of the Pill, although it didn't seem to arrive in Sunderland for another decade. and.and, and The Bay Hotel.
Not to mention Herd n Mulhall.
What a time that was to be alive.

The Jam were late 70s for me & bled over into the 80s. The Style Council were mostly pap.
I did wonder before including them but they straddled, as did the Fall but they’re just brilliant in any decade.

Oh and the Clash/Strummer similarly.

Last edited:
I was born in 1980 and whilst I hate all that Britpop shite I grew up listening to Radiohead, the Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, the Beasties, Leftfield, Tori Amos, the Pixies etc. Hip Hop was epic back them as well
On the downside the period between 1986-91 was probably up until the last 2 years the worst period in the UK's post war history. I know it sounds proper self indulgent but being aware of all those disasters but not understanding them definitely impacted by emotional state. None more so than Hillsborough which affected me more than anything.
I feel for the bairns now whose first conscious recollections of the world if the cluster fuck that is the last 18 months

I have a crackpot theory that I can’t be bothered to prove. It’s that most acts are only good for about three years or a couple of albums. Then they either get progressively worse or irrelevant or just repeat themselves.
Now the huge classic acts (Beatles Dylan Stones ABBA Prince etc) are the exceptions but I think it’s a decent theory-
Billy Idol (82-86)
Lloyd Cole (84-88)
Def Leppard (80-84)
Slade (70-74)
Sweet (71-74)
Simple Minds (79-83)
Wacko Jacko (79-84)
Manics (92-96)
Always said this.
In my opinion, most groups etc run out of ideas after a couple of albums.
Also, (again it's only my opinion) but i reckon a lot of groups sing about stuff they're really passionate about (at first), then they either just repeat the same sort of 'message' , or end up mass producing stuff with little thought or passion , just to keep things going.

In fairness Boris that is a classic tune.
I turned 14 in 1980 and it was a great time to be alive. I can’t comment on what my parents thought but for me personally, I was discovering great music, figuring out that lasses were quite nice, getting stuck into some fantastic literature (George Orwell in particular) and in short working out who I was as a person. If only life was that simple now.
I was16 in 1980, totally agree, fantastic time to be a teenager...

Got to be children of the 80s

Cold War culture…nuclear apocalypse was de rigeur
Bubblegum movies
New Romantics
Pop Punk
Hip Hop
MTV
Rock music was for more than just smelly people
U2 were still cool…Simple Minds were cooler
Acid house…Raves
Shaun Elliott, Gary Rowell and Marco Gabbiadini

Was there a cooler generation?

Let me underline my point with:

Was born in 1990 and I have to agree.

I caught the back end of Britpop and the internet rise but then social media in the early to late 00’s.

Those 6-8 years before me are the coolest generation.

Back