Hip Hop
MTV
Rock music was for more than just smelly people
U2 were still cool…Simple Minds were cooler
Acid house…Raves
Shaun Elliott, Gary Rowell and Marco Gabbiadini

Was there a cooler generation?

Let me underline my point with:

Kids of the 80s when all that happened were doing kids stuff though ,in bad fashion

Born in 60s, class childhood
Nee money ,nee health and safety and parent control ,mass kid activity
Great sport ,then you roll into 70s
Raleigh choppers ,Ali, cartoons, dirty books, George Best .then punk ,new wave
Into 80s as you become an adult ,then the first list

Last edited:
Has to be the beat generation of the 60s.

The kids had money and there was an explosion of youth culture- mainly centred on Swinging London. For a short time the U.K. was centre stage.

My sister had the luck to be 18 in 1964 - what a time to be young and alive, I was pre teen and watched from the sidelines as her mod friends played all the latest hits on an old record player at home - the drive was often filled with boyfriends scooters and those lads had the sharpest suits ever .

Whenever youth generations are mentioned my sister always said “ yeah - but we invented it”.

RIP kid - you were young and beautiful at probably the best time ever.

Born in 76 so caught the arse end of the 80’s and into the 90’s. music was class from both decades although some of the fashion was a bit dubious to say the least..

In fairness Boris that is a classic tune.
I turned 14 in 1980 and it was a great time to be alive. I can’t comment on what my parents thought but for me personally, I was discovering great music, figuring out that lasses were quite nice, getting stuck into some fantastic literature (George Orwell in particular) and in short working out who I was as a person. If only life was that simple now.
Same as me mate.

Loved the 80's and 90's. Great nights out in great bars when Sunderland was a class night out.

Imagine thinking U2 or Simple Minds were cool ffs :lol:

I was born 86. U2 and simple minds were never cool and only read about the cold war so not sure what the OP is on about with 80s kids.
I do agree however that people born in the 80s are too old and laid back to give a shit about 'woke' and have grown up and young enough to be fair and responsible about equality.

Aye. They weren’t cool when they were leading up to their first albums ferchrissakes.
I have a crackpot theory that I can’t be bothered to prove. It’s that most acts are only good for about three years or a couple of albums. Then they either get progressively worse or irrelevant or just repeat themselves.
Now the huge classic acts (Beatles Dylan Stones ABBA Prince etc) are the exceptions but I think it’s a decent theory-
Billy Idol (82-86)
Lloyd Cole (84-88)
Def Leppard (80-84)
Slade (70-74)
Sweet (71-74)
Simple Minds (79-83)
Wacko Jacko (79-84)
Manics (92-96)

X is best
Z is worst

I was born in 81 so just missed out on being X. Millennials are cool though. Annoying how a huge number of people get Gen Z and Millennials mixed up.
Alot of the people who use the word millennial as an insult are millennials themselves.
I'd say the living WW2 survivors, whether military or civilian, are easily the coolest.
Dinnar like, our lasses gran isn't very cool.

Back