Cooking a gammon joint in the slow cooker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty Moose

Striker
Got a cheapy gammon joint from Lidl and looking to cook it in the slow cooker. Baring in mind I am a complete slow cooker virgin how would people recommend cooking the thing and how long should it be in for? Ham is 1kg and the cooker only has two settings, high and low. Cheers.

Nice done in Coke, or just an inch of water.

soak it first if you dont like it too salty.

as said cook on low for at least 6 hours (wont spoil if left for a further 4 hours)

Get some chick peas and add them to the gammon juice left over and make peace pudding out of it, its proper nice.

How much Dr Pepper do I have to hoy in like? Is it purely pop or mixed with water - I would have thought the sugary shite in the pop would clog the cooker up something rotten.

How much Dr Pepper do I have to hoy in like? Is it purely pop or mixed with water - I would have thought the sugary shite in the pop would clog the cooker up something rotten.

2 litre bottle, undiluted, also if your joint is smoked you need to give it a soak in cold water for 2 or 3 hours before you cook it, keep changing the water

Get some chick peas and add them to the gammon juice left over and make peace pudding out of it, its proper nice.

never heard of using these for pease pudding.

yellow split peas very well washed.

into a pan with a medium sized potato peeled and halved. medium sized onion peeled and quartered. 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed.

cover with the liquid the bacon joint was cooked in and cook until peas are soft.

drain well and add to a blender with a chunk of butter, salt and black pepper.

blend, put in bowl, allow to cool. = lush.

never heard of using these for pease pudding.

yellow split peas very well washed.

into a pan with a medium sized potato peeled and halved. medium sized onion peeled and quartered. 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed.

cover with the liquid the bacon joint was cooked in and cook until peas are soft.

drain well and add to a blender with a chunk of butter, salt and black pepper.

blend, put in bowl, allow to cool. = lush.

I meant yellow split peas, im an idiot.
Chick peas are used in houmas and curry's arnt they?
Anyway pease pudding in the slow cooker is proper nice.

Cover in cold water and leave at least for 12 hrs to remove the salt, this is very important.

1 inch of water in slow cooker and leave on low for at least 6hrs

Apply honey and mustard mix and cook in oven for 40 mins at 180, lovley

Cover in cold water and leave at least for 12 hrs to remove the salt, this is very important.

Berek's recipe Heeeed?

Reet, I am slow cooking this mother in Dr Pepper as we speak. Any suggestions of what to serve it with tonight? Roast potatoes, pease pudding, coleslaw, fired eggs etc.

dont forget the lid :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back