Conveyancing - exchanging on a house

When I was moving last year I got sick of them. We were in a position to exchange contracts a week ahead of the proposed completion and I told them in no uncertain terms would I accept exchanging and completing on the same day as I've heard loads of stories of people being ready to move and the sale falling through on the day.

The week in between exchanging and completing was torture as my solicitor came up with excuses as like 'we can only talk to the solicitors above and below you in the chain', the purchaser's solicitors decide to take the day off.

In the end it got to the day before completion day and I called my solicitor and told her if you don't exchange today I'm pulling out of the sale and we'll need to discuss your fee. Lo and behold a few hours later it was all exchanged. They live in a different world.

Similar happened to us. The experts across every party were useless and continuously moved the goalposts. We eventually just said to the seller's Estate Agent 'if we don't have the keys in two weeks we're pulling out.' Their response was an essay on why it was impossible and completely unrealistic and unreasonable. After a simple reply back reiterating our position, two weeks later we had the keys and were moving in.

Little question for those with conveyancing experience.

At a month into the process would you expect the seller's conveyancer to know that the buyer is paying cash?
Yes. They should have been told the details of the mortgage lender and borrowing amount. In this case lack of both but yes. They ought to know.

Little question for those with conveyancing experience.

At a month into the process would you expect the seller's conveyancer to know that the buyer is paying cash?
The estate agent usually asks for proof of funds such as your savings statement showing you have your deposit and your mortgage offer before proceeding, if you're paying cash I would imagine they would want to see proof you have it. Then I would imagine this would be passed to the solicitor.

We are going through the process right now and the estate agent asked for proof of funds before taking the house off the market and my solicitor asked for the same information.

The estate agent usually asks for proof of funds such as your savings statement showing you have your deposit and your mortgage offer before proceeding, if you're paying cash I would imagine they would want to see proof you have it. Then I would imagine this would be passed to the solicitor.

We are going through the process right now and the estate agent asked for proof of funds before taking the house off the market and my solicitor asked for the same information.
I would have told the estate agent to piss off

I would have told the estate agent to piss off

They would not take the house off the market until we showed them proof we had the deposit, I had about 80% of it plus my mortgage offer but they still wouldn't budge, it took me about 2 weeks to get my deposit together but my broker started the process anyway and arranged the valuation, etc and I got a solicitor to start the process. So by the time I had it to show them, we already had a head start.

To be honest it pissed me off a little.

They would not take the house off the market until we showed them proof we had the deposit, I had about 80% of it plus my mortgage offer but they still wouldn't budge, it took me about 2 weeks to get my deposit together but my broker started the process anyway and arranged the valuation, etc and I got a solicitor to start the process. So by the time I had it to show them, we already had a head start.

To be honest it pissed me off a little.
Aye that'd piss me off to be fair. Nowt to do with them.

I just don’t understand how exchanging on a house can be so f***ing complicated?

We were all ready on Monday and we’re still waiting for all the solicitors to focus for a millisecond at the same time in order to get it done.

Surely in today’s climate you can just get everyone on a f***ing zoom call and get it done in five minutes??

How hard can it be? Any solicitors on here explain?
It’s infuriating but mainly because everyone wants a cut of cash and has to make everything hard work to kind of justify it

Has anyone had a good experience with conveyancing solicitors?
We’ve only ever moved twice and I don’t remember any problems either time. First one we were first time buyers and the vendors already had their new house to move in so no chain. Second one we had cash buyers for our place and the house we were buying had been empty for 2 years as the old bloke had died and his wife, the vendor, moved back to Malaysia.

Back