Conveyancing - exchanging on a house

What kind of shite?
Nothing that's not fixable. Mostly just dirty but holes in the walls, damaged skirts, loose sockets etc. The dirt is the worst though. I think I'll have to hole up at a hotel for a few days while we get it deep cleaned. They've lived like animals for years clearly. Loads of rubbish left around too so I will have to ask the solicitor to make sure it's noted in the contract that it all has to be removed. Currently I'd need a skip just to get rid of that.

Edit: I took it on knowing the whole place needed redoing. It's just worse than I thought.

what the fuck are 'searches' anyway, and why do they take so long? i can imagine in the old days, solicitor sends off letter to 'searches' company who then send off letters to planning departments and coal board etc.. and the likes finding info on the property, then collate it all in physical paper, then send it back.. ok a couple of weeks.

but nowadays, everything online, databases with data and records, the house i'm selling at the moment was bought by me in 2011, and before that exchanged hands in 2004, surely there is a record of the search results from back then? and now some shit do with unpaid ground rent, to the tune of a few shillings, that has to be okayed by the buyers lender, which takes another week for correspondence, its a piss take and infuriating. the pack they sent me to fill in when when the sale was first agreed must have been 50 odd pages long, printed out, and duplicates of other things... surely the can have generic standardised forms online, and a portal you can log into and fill them all out and submit them without the need for stacks of paper and postage.. when you take out an insurance policy for example, you can do an online signature, why can't you do that with this shit? they make out like no one has ever sold a house before and that the whole process is brand new, delicate and complex.

if i had the qualifications, i'd be setting up a business that does basic, generic, repetitive legal stuff online, quick and cheap

Last time I bought I just cut out the solicitors and agents and contacted seller direct , we made much more progress that way. They were being told we were the hold up and vice Versa once we knew the real position much better places to push from both sides
When it looked like our chain (4 parties involved) was going to fall through, we ended up contacting each other privately and realised there was no issue and quickly made progress to completion. Our solicitor was full of crap saying 'someone down the chain is getting cold feet' - they weren't. Private communication defo worked for us.

Ironically enough, our own solicitors (Juno) are actually, so far*, the most competent of the lot.

*Note: I fully reserve the right to u-turn on this opinion prior to completion.

It’s weird because the housing market seems to be booming right now. Removal firms are absolutely rammed, if my experience is anything to go by.
I had to pay 50% non refundable deposit to secure my removal company. And that was before exchange. Next option was van and man.

Also. Pay the extra to get them to pack
They hate the people who pay Thier extortionate wages ? No wonder the service is so poor
I paid mine about 4 grand. There is no way on earth they did 4 grand of work.

I had to pay 50% non refundable deposit to secure my removal company. And that was before exchange. Next option was van and man.

£650 for full pack (plus removal fee itself of course) on the quote I got the other day. Reckon it would take me and the missus a week flat out to do it. Well worth it.

what the fuck are 'searches' anyway, and why do they take so long? i can imagine in the old days, solicitor sends off letter to 'searches' company who then send off letters to planning departments and coal board etc.. and the likes finding info on the property, then collate it all in physical paper, then send it back.. ok a couple of weeks.

but nowadays, everything online, databases with data and records, the house i'm selling at the moment was bought by me in 2011, and before that exchanged hands in 2004, surely there is a record of the search results from back then? and now some shit do with unpaid ground rent, to the tune of a few shillings, that has to be okayed by the buyers lender, which takes another week for correspondence, its a piss take and infuriating. the pack they sent me to fill in when when the sale was first agreed must have been 50 odd pages long, printed out, and duplicates of other things... surely the can have generic standardised forms online, and a portal you can log into and fill them all out and submit them without the need for stacks of paper and postage.. when you take out an insurance policy for example, you can do an online signature, why can't you do that with this shit? they make out like no one has ever sold a house before and that the whole process is brand new, delicate and complex.

if i had the qualifications, i'd be setting up a business that does basic, generic, repetitive legal stuff online, quick and cheap

@Cow knows some stuff about this.

This is why solicitors hate clients :D
Do you want to do my conveyancing? I’ll pay you. :D

Yes, we’re at the stage where we might have to just pay the deposit and risk losing it because the date is going fast. We’re getting the packing service too.

Last edited:
Don't know how you can sleep at night
Very comfortably on my mattress made out of tortured house buying souls :cool: It’s the likes of @janiep who are the real vampires though;):lol:

The removal men probably read this forum and realise that you’re a flash bastard with a fancy job so hiked the price up.

Last edited:
They hate the people who pay Thier extortionate wages ? No wonder the service is so poor

Have you seen how much a newly qualified solicitor in a high street firm makes? Trust me it ain't extortionate...

Yes your NQs in larger commercial firms get higher wages but that isn't to do residential conveyancing

Back