Contracting as ltd

If they are paid proper contract rates 9 out of 10 would take it aye. I'm getting almost double what I'd get as an employee. Granted not everyone gets remunerated correctly and I would take permy if the day rate was poor too.
This ,

Everyone bar one of our lads is a subby.Suits them,suits us.

Horses for courses boys.
In my old line of work, the self employed/Ltd Co route was hardly ever entertained by both the companies or the workers.
In some cases, if you were working on a site (like down on Teesside) - and you were on "Blue Book" rates, then you were simply NOT allowed to be self employed.
Blue book guaranteed you travelling/radius money, set hours and of course premium time for overtime/bank holidays.
A good deal - but with the added protection of being employed by the company which I have mentioned in a previous post.

Also on offshore jobs, the only time self employed workers got a shout was in the summer shutdowns when there was a huge demand for tradesmen. Soon as the job was finished, they were on their way.
The lads who had their books in were kept on.

Just a couple examples of the other side of the contracting game.

If they are paid proper contract rates 9 out of 10 would take it aye. I'm getting almost double what I'd get as an employee. Granted not everyone gets remunerated correctly and I would take permy if the day rate was poor too.
I’m not sure it’s that high, I’ve worked with plenty of perm people who could have easily contracted but it just never appealed to them.

This ^^^ it’s the case in IT. I’m pondering going ltd this year, at least to get pension money up to a decent amount and get my extension built :lol:

This ^^^ it’s the case in IT. I’m pondering going ltd this year, at least to get pension money up to a decent amount and get my extension built :lol:

Be careful mate, its becoming more of a minefield. Public Sector are already taxing at source, and looks likely that the Private Sector will follow. Agencies are going to have to have a good look at their contracts to make sure they are compliant.

I always have my contracts reviewed, then in the event of an investigation the company I’ve paid to review the contract end up liable if their answer is wrong. For the sake of chucking £200 at QDoS I’ve got some peace of mind.

Be careful mate, its becoming more of a minefield. Public Sector are already taxing at source, and looks likely that the Private Sector will follow. Agencies are going to have to have a good look at their contracts to make sure they are compliant.
Aye, though those "in ir35" are struggling to fill posts. The HMG IR35 tool can easily be changed to suit its not rocket science.

I know fine well of a couple of contractors at HMRC themselves who are outside IR35 and it's absolute bollocks. They definitely fail the rules. But HMRC need their projects delivered too.

One of my acquaintances was taken to court for IR35 infringement. He was told (legally) to state, 'It is not my fault my current client keeps awarding me work. Am I to turn this away and lose money?'

He won, case was thrown out.

It's all a load of shite.

Its a fkn sham to be honest. IR35 is a smoke screen. In my game it is mainly ltd companies, you contract to projects etc. Just normal people paying their fair share of tax. Theres a lot of pressure on the individual to keep working ie no sick pay, holidays etc. They should either ban working as ltd companies or clarify the rules and let people get on with it. Both the tories and labour have danced around the subject for 20 years now. Funny how in public sector Umbrella companies are now used to take people, money making scheme. We were warned off umbrella companies 15 years ago. As for this lass, fair enough 7 years is a bit long for a contract and I don't know if she was still claiming expenses which would enhance her liability.

I know fine well of a couple of contractors at HMRC themselves who are outside IR35 and it's absolute bollocks. They definitely fail the rules. But HMRC need their projects delivered too.
There is no skills (in my case in security) for permanent civil servants. They either get contractors or they dont deliver, I can't see it ever changing.

Back