Contract situation

Only by the usual crackpots though. They're the posters that appear to detest any player that possesses flair and creativity. You see the same old faces continuing to have a go at Maguire despite him being our most dangerous player.

I disagree re: Willis. He'll have championship clubs sniffing around him, they'll be able to match his wage and more.
champo level clubs tried ro sign him when we did..we paid him more than they offered./

despite the cerackpots om here snorting about the "budget bigger than some championship clubs" remarks..#

so unless willis gets offers from top end champo..we womnt have to worry..and if he can get that offer rom top of champo we can get a good fee..

champo level clubs tried ro sign him when we did..we paid him more than they offered./

despite the cerackpots om here snorting about the "budget bigger than some championship clubs" remarks..#

so unless willis gets offers from top end champo..we womnt have to worry..and if he can get that offer rom top of champo we can get a good fee..

Yes, but unless we're promoted we'll be unable to compete with championship clubs going forward unless there is direct investment from our owners. In addition, Willis won't want to spend much longer playing in league one when he's clearly capable of playing at a higher level.

We won't get a good fee if he only has one year left on his contract. We only managed to get circa £1.5m for Maja.

What is Donald and Richard Hill playing at?

some of our top performers out of contract in a few months and no sign of any extensions.
A few of the out of contract players are saleable assets too, risk losing them for . Surely Donald can see this?
Mismanagement again.
Donald out

If only you bought the club, eh?
Good news is you still can!
Get yer wallet out and get those contracts done!

Yes, but unless we're promoted we'll be unable to compete with championship clubs going forward unless there is direct investment from our owners. In addition, Willis won't want to spend much longer playing in league one when he's clearly capable of playing at a higher level.

We won't get a good fee if he only has one year left on his contract. We only managed to get circa £1.5m for Maja.
we got a lot less than £1.5m for maja...but he ios a different league to willis..
but we can competw ith championship clubs now! and thats because of dircet investnment fdrom the owners..despite the detraabnfed lunatics on here!

All this, "this is how its done at this level", is rubbish. Tell me the economic sense in not tying mclaughlin down for example. I believe, and i think most will agree, that he is capable of playing in the championship. Hence the interest from championship clubs. Therefore, scenario a) we go up and we already have a keeper of that standard. We therefore dont have to waste time and money on finding a replacement, particularly when the transfer budget will likely be tight. Scenario b) we stay in this league and have one of, if not the best, keeper in the division. All the time he is in limbo now he could have people in his ear, possibly from the championship, saying, "run your contract down and come here next year". This situation wouldn't arise if he was tied down.

All this, "this is how its done at this level", is rubbish. Tell me the economic sense in not tying mclaughlin down for example. I believe, and i think most will agree, that he is capable of playing in the championship. Hence the interest from championship clubs. Therefore, scenario a) we go up and we already have a keeper of that standard. We therefore dont have to waste time and money on finding a replacement, particularly when the transfer budget will likely be tight. Scenario b) we stay in this league and have one of, if not the best, keeper in the division. All the time he is in limbo now he could have people in his ear, possibly from the championship, saying, "run your contract down and come here next year". This situation wouldn't arise if he was tied down.
because mclaughlin has zero resale value even under contract..no one has paid a fee for him,.,

we already has a replacemetn if he leaves..

because mclaughlin has zero resale value even under contract..no one has paid a fee for him,.,

We would get a fee for mcloughlin.

Correct we have a replacement for him, but he’s nowhere near as good as him.

It’s almost as if the owner of happy for JM to go, as we have a replacement who is on less wages...

We would get a fee for mcloughlin.

Correct we have a replacement for him, but he’s nowhere near as good as him.

It’s almost as if the owner of happy for JM to go, as we have a replacement who is on less wages...
eh? why would the owner want someone to go we van get a fee for?
your post contradicts itself

Everyone out of contract will be wanting championship wages as there is every chance we get promoted.
Donald is selling the club, why would he sanction a bunch of beefed up contracts.

eh? why would the owner want someone to go we van get a fee for?
your post contradicts itself

I think we’d get a fee for mcloughlin, so I’d give him a new deal. Then if we sell, we’d get cash

It looks to me that SD is happy to let him go (he hasn’t offered him a new deal) and get him off the wage bill. Make LB our number 1 as he’s on less cash.

With McLaughlin it might be that his wage demands are too high for a player in this league. You'd imagine it'll be his last decent contract, he's done well here, wouldn't be at all surprised if he wanted a decent wage rise. If that's the case then maybe we could afford it in the championship if we go up. If we stay down we might not be able to afford it, or maybe we could but feel Burge would be perfectly fine at this level and that the wages would be better spent elsewhere (up front for starters). If he wants similar to what he's on now and washed aren't any sort of an issue then I'd agree we should be signing him up, but we don't have all the details

What is Donald and Richard Hill playing at?

some of our top performers out of contract in a few months and no sign of any extensions.
A few of the out of contract players are saleable assets too, risk losing them for . Surely Donald can see this?
Mismanagement again.
Donald out
Whopper of the day!

people wrere saying the exact thing last year..and most of the players they whined about got signed up..

in this league players dont sign contracts earluy..

whats the monetary benfit of him not signing players to contracts? then they leave for free and he gets nowt..

this is another example of the agenda of the agenda some people have..the fans are feeling good...so bring this up..because there is a need to undermine the owners to help the economic agenda of the folk..

every owner must be selling then because in this legaue people dont get signed to new contracts..that eaerly..

Where will they be leaving to where they will play for a bigger club on bigger money? 09,Willis and Hume probs the ones who would attract moves to Championship but realistically they will be playing there with us.

There was championship interest in him before. Talk of a £1m plus bid from Blackburn i think it was. That was around the time donald himself said on a podcast he valued him at £5m. Just because a player hasnt commanded a fee before, doesnt mean he will never move for money.
With McLaughlin it might be that his wage demands are too high for a player in this league. You'd imagine it'll be his last decent contract, he's done well here, wouldn't be at all surprised if he wanted a decent wage rise. If that's the case then maybe we could afford it in the championship if we go up. If we stay down we might not be able to afford it, or maybe we could but feel Burge would be perfectly fine at this level and that the wages would be better spent elsewhere (up front for starters). If he wants similar to what he's on now and washed aren't any sort of an issue then I'd agree we should be signing him up, but we don't have all the details

Even allowing for that, it doesn't account for all of the players we should be tying down. Why hasnt oniens option been taken up. There are a number of players below that, like your Flanagans etc. Who arent world beaters but could do a job for a season, relatively cheaply, should we go up. People could be in for a hell of a shock when we have to replace half a squad, on what looks likely to be a small budget, if this clown is still in charge. Surely it would be better to keep the bulk of the squad together and concentrate the budget in the weaker areas, rather than suddenly have to replace 6,7,8 players. Its reckless and naive to believe you can move up into a new division and sign that number of players and get them all right, particularly when SDs record suggests we arent going to be spending much.

Last edited:
There was championship interest in him before. Talk of a £1m plus bid from Blackburn i think it was. That was around the time donald himself said on a podcast he valued him at £5m. Just because a player hasnt commanded a fee before, doesnt mean he will never move for money.

Even allowing for that, it doesn't account for all of the players we should be tying down. Why hasnt oniens option been taken up. There are a number of players below that, like your Flanagans etc. Who arent world beaters but could do a job for a season, relatively cheaply, should we go up. People could be in for a hell of a shock when we have to replace half a squad, on what looks likely to be a small budget, if this clown is still in charge. Surely it would be better to keep the bulk of the squad together and concentrate the budget in the weaker areas, rather than suddenly have to replace 6,7,8 players. Its reckless and naive to believe you can move up into a new division and sign that number of players and get them all right, particularly when SDs record suggests we arent going to be spending much.

Maybe, but again it's possible that in the case of Flanagan and the likes they want to keep them motivated and playing for their futures. Let's be honest, no one will be stealing him from under our nose. I mean, I agree I'd exercise an option on O'Nien like, don't think he needs to be motivated any more than he is naturally, but maybe they just want to treat them all the same. Plus, although we assume we won't spend much under SD, the fact is the club is for sale. Not saying anyone new will necessarily splash the cash but if they do come in before the end of the season they might prefer having the ability to change the size if they want, rather than Donald having signed a load of players to longer term contracts

Depends where we're playing next season. If we go up we get to choose who we keep and who we don't. If we stay in this shit league, then it's what kildaremackem said.
This and I'd add, at 4 or 5 of players out of contract shouldn't be renewed regardless of whichever league we are in

people wrere saying the exact thing last year..and most of the players they whined about got signed up..

in this league players dont sign contracts earluy..

whats the monetary benfit of him not signing players to contracts? then they leave for free and he gets nowt..

this is another example of the agenda of the agenda some people have..the fans are feeling good...so bring this up..because there is a need to undermine the owners to help the economic agenda of the folk..

every owner must be selling then because in this legaue people dont get signed to new contracts..that eaerly..
Absolutely spot-on.

Donald saidin one of the early podcasts the majority of all the players we signed last season have an option to extend if we want to

I've no idea how correct that is. O'Nien is rumoured to have one but McLaughlan hasn't.

Back