Continue with linear progression or jack it in for something else?

Yo buff dudes!

I've been doing weight lifting off and on and off for about 3 years, the latest stint has been for about a year.

I train x3 times a week doing Stronglifts compound lifts, apart from squats which I'm shite at and I do other leg exercises.

I really think that I've reached some pathetically low limits as I'll soon have de-loaded 3 times on most lifts. I've tried some variations e.g. when I can do 5x5 easily at a weight I sometimes do 3x5 at bigger weights or reduce the recovery.

The aim was to get stronger and to do some sort of exercise as I'd got bored of running and was getting too skinny. I don't think that I'm ever going to get any better at anything now as I'm in my mid 40s.

Is it better for me just to maintain at what I can do and maybe throw in some variations or assistance work to alleviate any boredom? If I want more gains I will probably need to eat more.

Should I try something radically different? A colleague suggested more volume and less weight.

Shall I just ogle the young birds instead and pretend to do weight training?

Thanks.

The simple answer mate is to follow the programme. Pretty sure the programme advises adding weight in small increments once you've reached a comfortable 5x5 and not plucking a random weight at 3x5 out of thin air

As for not doing squats because you're shite at them...I don't really understand. Lets say you needed to make a certain weight on the squat or you'd die...would you not do them , or would you do them as much as possible?

Just squat

Ta @daveydavey

Yes I have 1.25kg and x4 ones at .25kg each. Today for instance I did 5x5 bench @ 73.5kg. On Friday I will try 3x5 at 75kg as I would fail at 5x5 at 75kg.

Re: squats. I tried and tried and I only just broke parallel and got up to 100kg but it was an accident waiting to happen.

I’d rather be skinny fat than follow a programme verbatim as they’re not suited to everyone. I could work on flexibility but I doubt that it’d improve now so I use machines, goblet squat or go for a quick run.

Have a look at writing your own program. One way of hitting PR’s (if that’s what motivates you) is to try exercises and movements you’ve never tried before. Stick with linear progression till you feel like you’re spinning your wheels again. Then re-program. Sticking with squats bench and deadlifts for years just to get an extra few kg on your bench isn’t for everyone.

I’m far from an expert and like you I’ve been lifting on and off for about 5 years. I’ve never reached a level where I thought I wasn’t making proper gains. I’d either get injured and need proper time off or life would get in the way, then I’d have to start again. I can’t wait to feel like I’ve maxed out with the progression on stronglifts, but if that’s where you feel you are there’s nothing wrong with going in a different direction.

Yo buff dudes!

I've been doing weight lifting off and on and off for about 3 years, the latest stint has been for about a year.

I train x3 times a week doing Stronglifts compound lifts, apart from squats which I'm shite at and I do other leg exercises.

I really think that I've reached some pathetically low limits as I'll soon have de-loaded 3 times on most lifts. I've tried some variations e.g. when I can do 5x5 easily at a weight I sometimes do 3x5 at bigger weights or reduce the recovery.

The aim was to get stronger and to do some sort of exercise as I'd got bored of running and was getting too skinny. I don't think that I'm ever going to get any better at anything now as I'm in my mid 40s.

Is it better for me just to maintain at what I can do and maybe throw in some variations or assistance work to alleviate any boredom? If I want more gains I will probably need to eat more.

Should I try something radically different? A colleague suggested more volume and less weight.

Shall I just ogle the young birds instead and pretend to do weight training?

Thanks.
As of next week I am switching to a program where I will be using a periodisation progression model rather than a linear model. It incorporates a planned de-load every 4 or 6 weeks instead of having a forced de-load due to failure.

I said before I believe from your posts I am quite similar to you in your training and goals, although I'm only mid 30's ;)

Did you ever look up that YouTuber I recommended? Radu Antoniu. His video on periodisation has made me decide to switch. I've lost a lot of fat but have relatively little muscle mass because I've only done one small bulk. I'm about to do a longer one and periodisation, apparently, can make people progress quicker. If you've reached a peak, this may help add a bit more to some lifts if that's what you're after.

Check him out. I enjoy his videos and his advice. He has exactly the kind of physique I hope to achieve. Not too big but very lean and very strong in relation to body weight.

As of next week I am switching to a program where I will be using a periodisation progression model rather than a linear model. It incorporates a planned de-load every 4 or 6 weeks instead of having a forced de-load due to failure.

I said before I believe from your posts I am quite similar to you in your training and goals, although I'm only mid 30's ;)

Did you ever look up that YouTuber I recommended? Radu Antoniu. His video on periodisation has made me decide to switch. I've lost a lot of fat but have relatively little muscle mass because I've only done one small bulk. I'm about to do a longer one and periodisation, apparently, can make people progress quicker. If you've reached a peak, this may help add a bit more to some lifts if that's what you're after.

Check him out. I enjoy his videos and his advice. He has exactly the kind of physique I hope to achieve. Not too big but very lean and very strong in relation to body weight.
Yo! I think that I did but I can't remember it being life changing ;), but I'll take another look.

Someone at the gym recommended that I try 5-3-1 for a bit but I'd have to find a spreadsheet to calculate all of the RMs and things.

I did quite like the 'As Many Reps As Possible' AMRAP part of greyskull LP on the final (3rd) set so I may just keep the weight as high as possible. The idea in the first sentence of your reply is interesting as I don't want to de-load due to failure for the rest of my lifting life as it's de-motivating.

Yo! I think that I did but I can't remember it being life changing ;), but I'll take another look.

Someone at the gym recommended that I try 5-3-1 for a bit but I'd have to find a spreadsheet to calculate all of the RMs and things.

I did quite like the 'As Many Reps As Possible' AMRAP part of greyskull LP on the final (3rd) set so I may just keep the weight as high as possible. The idea in the first sentence of your reply is interesting as I don't want to de-load due to failure for the rest of my lifting life as it's de-motivating.
No bother. It's something I'm going to start next for the first time and up my calories so hopefully I'll see a decent progression. I've got plenty left in me I think.

Not to prejudice your opinion or owt but I hated 5/3/1 - I think my squat actually got worse and I had to pay @Titus to undo Jim Wendler’s work :lol:

Not to prejudice your opinion or owt but I hated 5/3/1 - I think my squat actually got worse and I had to pay @Titus to undo Jim Wendler’s work :lol:
No probs, the more comments the better, but at the end of the day I think that I'm destined to be a weakling. I think that I'll be OK by at least staying active and planning for the future.

No bother. It's something I'm going to start next for the first time and up my calories so hopefully I'll see a decent progression. I've got plenty left in me I think.
Is this what you're doing?

https://thinkeatlift.com/how-to-gain-strength-faster-using-periodization/

Last edited:
No probs, the more comments the better, but at the end of the day I think that I'm destined to be a weakling. I think that I'll be OK by at least staying active and planning for the future.

Is this what you're doing?

https://thinkeatlift.com/how-to-gain-strength-faster-using-periodization/
As of next week that was the plan.

I might just have changed my mind this afternoon however :lol:

Radu's advice and plans are similar to and inspired by Greg O'Gallagher at Kinobody. He has three programs that he charges for and each has a different goal. I've been doing (a bit loosely I must say) his Warrior Shred program. I found a PDF version so it was free. This is done in a calorie deficit. The aim is to shred fat and build a small amount of muscle mass.

His next one is called the Greek God program. I've been trying to find a PDF version for a while without success until today when I stumbled across one. The training is similar to the Warrior Shred program. Reverse pyramid training, concentrating on gaining strength in key lifts but with a bit more volume and in a calorie surplus to support more muscle growth.

I can PM you the link to it if you want.

These programs fit my lifestyle because it's only 3 workouts a week and it's not a ridiculous amount of load or volume. They support a lean physique with minimal fat.

As of next week that was the plan.

I might just have changed my mind this afternoon however :lol:

Radu's advice and plans are similar to and inspired by Greg O'Gallagher at Kinobody. He has three programs that he charges for and each has a different goal. I've been doing (a bit loosely I must say) his Warrior Shred program. I found a PDF version so it was free. This is done in a calorie deficit. The aim is to shred fat and build a small amount of muscle mass.

His next one is called the Greek God program. I've been trying to find a PDF version for a while without success until today when I stumbled across one. The training is similar to the Warrior Shred program. Reverse pyramid training, concentrating on gaining strength in key lifts but with a bit more volume and in a calorie surplus to support more muscle growth.

I can PM you the link to it if you want.

These programs fit my lifestyle because it's only 3 workouts a week and it's not a ridiculous amount of load or volume. They support a lean physique with minimal fat.

I saw his Greek God stuff. Thanks for the offer of the PDF but I don't want to be as skinny/lean as that as I'd look ill.

Back