1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contactless v Chip & Pin Payments

Discussion in 'SMB' started by dafunk2, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Kevsgreat

Kevsgreat Striker

I've only had a contactless card for about a month and I tried to pay £52 on it at the weekend. Never been so embarrassed in my life.

addicted_to_safc, James and dafunk2 like this.
  2. dafunk2

dafunk2 Midfield

Same for me then. I thought that it would have been the other way around if anything...strange how they are different.

3. Thurston

Thurston Winger

There's no difference in transaction time.

What annoys me is, after all the shit about chip and pin being put in place to make things more secure, they've basically went back to square one!

4. googleboogle

googleboogle Central Defender

Contactless can take longer, normally a daily run. Depending on how they process it, as your account is pre authorised. They don't actually check your available balance.

5. James

James Striker

What bank are you with? Lloyds is considerably slower on contactless.

6. TAFKAHM

TAFKAHM Winger

Thing with contactless, anyone can use it without a pin number, very dangerous, is there a limit on amount ?

7. googleboogle

Yea £30 per transaction. Also it can randomly ask for your pin.

It's covered by banks so if it does get stole you won't be out of pocket.

It's not the bank. It's the retailer you use it at.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    James likes this.
  8. James

James Striker

It's not dangerous. If you lose your wallet just call the bank and have the card cancelled, same as if you lost a chip and pin card. Any payment you didn't authorise is covered as well, if someone stole it out of your hand or something daft like that.

One of the better day-to-day inventions. So much quicker to use at the shop and at the bar.

9. No7

No7 Central Defender

I'm with Santander, and contactless payments don't come off until 11pm

It grips my shit

10. TAFKAHM

TAFKAHM Winger

For those who didn't notice there cards missing for a day or so....

11. Bladecat

Bladecat Winger

I buy drinks in the pub when I can pay contactless...it feels like you haven't paid;)

No7 and James like this.
  12. James

James Striker

Then you just ring the bank once you realise and tell them. It's happened to a mate and they just cancelled the payments and refunded anything he told them about. Don't let that put you off a contactless card, they're topper.

TAFKAHM likes this.
  13. googleboogle

14. legend7

legend7 Full Back

Aye i was talking to staff in a pub and basically they dont "upload" any payments until monday morning from the whole weekend, even if you lose your card and cancel it it would still go through but you would get the money back.

15. joemcdokes

joemcdokes Striker

I've changed my worse case scenario, imagine if a payment doesn't come out of your account at the same time with contactless and chip and pin.
    The horror of it all, it's a worry I didn't even think about till now, it's got me feeling sick.

16. googleboogle

It's like the days when people used a cheque a few days before pay day.

You can chance it with a contactless card.

James likes this.
  17. SA96

SA96 Central Defender

My bus pass is contactless.

18. the dark one

the dark one Midfield

You are a fruit.

Frijj likes this.
  19. LondonMackem

LondonMackem Winger

Snigger

20. MURPHY1973

MURPHY1973 Goalkeeper

I am sure cheques will clear within a working day come october so no writing them a few days before payday anymore