Consumer assistance with faulty goods

SMB advice needed - what's the most effective process for escalating a complaint against a retailer for faulty goods when they have tried to fob you off?

It's a high street retailer who sold a tumble dryer with a part missing. The problem is there was nothing in the manual to indicate that the part was needed or even existed so it was impossible to report at the time. The consequence of the missing part is that over time the dryer has suffered internal damage making it a write off after its initial warranty period expired. We did get a warranty visit out when it had a problem before the expiry but the engineer didn't mention the missing part either.

Tbf a good deal of the problem is the fault of the manufacturer, but we bought the dryer from the retailer so that's who we believe has a responsibility to us.

What's the best route? Consumer pages of the paper, or the TV equivalent? Citizens advice? DIY legal letter?

Any advice on how to get our money back off the retailer much appreciated.

As a piece of advice for other SMBers, if you're buying a Samsung heat pump dryer make sure it has a removable foam filter in the heat exchanger, beware of John Lewis whose installers put our manual through a 2 wash cycle when they were plumbing it in, and whose after care has been appalling, and if you're considering extended warranties through Domestic and General don't. They're morons who don't understand how data protection works and took almost two months to send a simple letter.

SMB advice needed - what's the most effective process for escalating a complaint against a retailer for faulty goods when they have tried to fob you off?

It's a high street retailer who sold a tumble dryer with a part missing. The problem is there was nothing in the manual to indicate that the part was needed or even existed so it was impossible to report at the time. The consequence of the missing part is that over time the dryer has suffered internal damage making it a write off after its initial warranty period expired. We did get a warranty visit out when it had a problem before the expiry but the engineer didn't mention the missing part either.

Tbf a good deal of the problem is the fault of the manufacturer, but we bought the dryer from the retailer so that's who we believe has a responsibility to us.

What's the best route? Consumer pages of the paper, or the TV equivalent? Citizens advice? DIY legal letter?

As a piece of advice for other SMBers, if you're buying a Samsung heat pump dryer make sure it has a removable foam filter in the heat exchanger, beware of John Lewis whose installers put our manual through a 2 wash cycle when they were plumbing it in, and whose after care has been appalling, and if you're considering extended warranties through Domestic and General don't. They're morons who don't understand how data protection works and took almost two months to send a simple letter.
I was just about to sarcastically say buy your next one at John Lewis because I’ve never had any problems at all with their service. Quite surprised tbh.

As above, check your credit card cover if you used it.

Dis you get a protect Plus extended warranty? Why won’t they cover it?

I was just about to sarcastically say buy your next one at John Lewis because I’ve never had any problems at all with their service. Quite surprised tbh.

As above, check your credit card cover if you used it.

Dis you get a protect Plus extended warranty? Why won’t they cover it?

Just the standard warranty.

The issue is that it concerns how the product was supplied at the time, which has caused a fault to develop over time. They're completely in arse-covering mode and reducing to help at all, and full of "dog ate my homework" excuses.

Frankly I've found their service to be quite shit for a good few years now and they're living off a residual reputation. I wouldn't have bought the dryer from them but my wife still hasn't shaken off her perception of them as reliable.
Did you use a credit card or Visa debit card.

Debit unfortunately. I think because of the old "Oh it's John Lewis, they'll look after you, no need to put it on a credit card for extra protection"

Last edited:
Cry on the phone to them. Big up the stress it’s caused/causing you.
Any customer service team worth their salt will sort you out when they have a man crying on the phone.

If it wasn’t fit for purpose, and with a part missing it wouldn’t be you are entitled to your money back or a replacement product, that’s the legal position but don’t know how you could prove part was missing at time of delivery
Your complaint is with supplier not manufacturer but I’m sure they’ll try and refer you to manufacturer

Bit of a grey area this one proving a missing filter not spotted by an engineer could cause the machine to be faulty ?

The onus is on the retailer to sort it but from their response they’ve washed their hand of it.

Cant really see you getting anywhere further forward with this I’m afraid.

Do you have Legal Expenses cover, either with home/car insurance or possibly via a union? You can often refer to them for consumer issues, though there is sometimes a minimum level of a claim eg £250.

It may be worth sending a letter/email to the retailer and even the manufacturer, however i am guessing as your warranty has expired it has been a while since you bought it, therefore you are probably aren't going to get anywhere due to your complaint not being within a "reasonable time period"

i would email their customer services, put forward your complaints and point out how disappointed you are after being a loyal customer.
then as hard as it might be to swallow i would just buy a new one and put it down to experience. i'd only do that because it's easy to get consumed and stressed out by this sort of thing. (unless it was a really expensive one then i'd shit in all their dishwashers)

How have you found out the reason for the failure?

My experience is that, when this situation occurs, you should go into the store, find the most inexperienced staff member in the relevant department and show them your bra. Youngsters working in John Lewis can't handle middle aged men wearing bras. They'll accept anything to get out of a weird situation.

Just the standard warranty.

The issue is that it concerns how the product was supplied at the time, which has caused a fault to develop over time. They're completely in arse-covering mode and reducing to help at all, and full of "dog ate my homework" excuses.

Frankly I've found their service to be quite shit for a good few years now and they're living off a residual reputation. I wouldn't have bought the dryer from them but my wife still hasn't shaken off her perception of them as reliable.

Debit unfortunately. I think because of the old "Oh it's John Lewis, they'll look after you, no need to put it on a credit card for extra protection"
If a Visa debit try charge back.

Back