Consumer advice (car dealer)

When in trouble, turn to the smb👍

Anyone on here had to return a car to the dealer before? What was the dealers attitude?

My daughter paid 12k for a car 11 months ago. Since then she's had to return it ten times due to faults and warning LEDs.
A couple of times she didn't even get out of the dealers car space before a fault re occurred and she had to return it.
On the last occasion we decided enough was enough as with her being heavily pregnant we couldn't risk the car breaking down or a malfunctioning airbag (one of the warning leds).
The dealer has assured us the car has been tested by a Mercedes dealer each time the faults have occurred but they haven't been able to rectify the problem, this turns out to have been a lie. They've been taking it to a garage who deals in mercs, but not a Mercedes dealer as they told us.

To cut it short... the dealer has now offered to buy it back from us for over 2k less than we paid for it. That would be 2k for a car which has broken down ten times in eleven months! Shes lost work (agency teacher) due to this and is stressed to fck. The bairn cant afford to just take a 2k hit especially with a kid on the way

Any advice would be much appreciated

It’s a stressing situation I know but after nearly a year It will have depreciated a bit anyway, in yours and her situation I would cut your losses and take that deal purely to reduce the stress levels and consign it to history, get the money and name the garage

When in trouble, turn to the smb👍

Anyone on here had to return a car to the dealer before? What was the dealers attitude?

My daughter paid 12k for a car 11 months ago. Since then she's had to return it ten times due to faults and warning LEDs.
A couple of times she didn't even get out of the dealers car space before a fault re occurred and she had to return it.
On the last occasion we decided enough was enough as with her being heavily pregnant we couldn't risk the car breaking down or a malfunctioning airbag (one of the warning leds).
The dealer has assured us the car has been tested by a Mercedes dealer each time the faults have occurred but they haven't been able to rectify the problem, this turns out to have been a lie. They've been taking it to a garage who deals in mercs, but not a Mercedes dealer as they told us.

To cut it short... the dealer has now offered to buy it back from us for over 2k less than we paid for it. That would be 2k for a car which has broken down ten times in eleven months! Shes lost work (agency teacher) due to this and is stressed to fck. The bairn cant afford to just take a 2k hit especially with a kid on the way

Any advice would be much appreciated
Unfortunately mate, Cars depreciate so f***ing fast.

I would make a stand with the dealer and say, you've lied about this, the car did this, this place is a joke etc. and I'm willing to take matters further.... or we call it 11k (1k hit) and I walk away now and you never have to hear from me again.

He'll possibly buckle, might come back with 10500 and you can settle at the 10750 mark.

Should’ve rejected it straight away.

But...

Is it financed? If so complain to the finance company. Did she pay anything on credit card, if so complain to them.

How did she purchase it, distance to face to face?

Her statutory rights do give her some come back.

£2k isn’t a bad hit I suppose.

Unfortunately mate, Cars depreciate so f***ing fast.

I would make a stand with the dealer and say, you've lied about this, the car did this, this place is a joke etc. and I'm willing to take matters further.... or we call it 11k (1k hit) and I walk away now and you never have to hear from me again.

He'll possibly buckle, might come back with 1500 and you can settle at the 1250 mark.
I understand that cars depreciate but it's been fcked half the time she's had it

My missus is the calm and sensible one in our relationship and shes been dealing with it

I may go around and have some fun

Should’ve rejected it straight away.

But...

Is it financed? If so complain to the finance company. Did she pay anything on credit card, if so complain to them.

How did she purchase it, distance to face to face?

Her statutory rights do give her some come back.

£2k isn’t a bad hit I suppose.
No mate not financed.
Our lass rang the credit card company but they could only attempt to get the cash paid back, the 3k part ex for her old mini wasnt their "problem/concern/ responsibility.

If she was just putting the motor in as part ex for another I'd expect to take a hit but it's the fact the car is fcked that is forcing us to part with it
😡

After 11 months, yeah, I'd probably take the £10k cash and walk away. It's not ideal, but the alternative would be small claims court, and then you've got a lot of paperwork to be doing.

After 11 months, yeah, I'd probably take the £10k cash and walk away. It's not ideal, but the alternative would be small claims court, and then you've got a lot of paperwork to be doing.
Actually I've just shown my missus this thread and she told me its actually two and a half grand less that they offered us not two grand

Thieving bstards

2.5k for a broken car

😡

Is it a reputable dealer? I bought one when I was a lot younger. Only came with one key was the first warning. After being backwards and forwards loads and getting an independent report it turned out the cylinder head had been changed, likely due to a snapped cam belt, and the wrong one had been out on. I got the financial ombudsman involved and within 48 hours it was stolen and burnt out 2 miles from my house. The police agreed but no evidence.

£2.5k?

How much would it have been to lease? Put it down to experience and move on.

Mind, for £12k you could pick something decent up under manufacturers warranty.

No mate not financed.
Our lass rang the credit card company but they could only attempt to get the cash paid back, the 3k part ex for her old mini wasnt their "problem/concern/ responsibility.

If she was just putting the motor in as part ex for another I'd expect to take a hit but it's the fact the car is fcked that is forcing us to part with it
😡
Try the motor ombudsman.

Back