Constructive criticism.

Lord Alfred

Striker
A good hard fought win today but the weakness still looks fairly obvious (to me anyway) It's in the last third of the pitch. I lost count of the number of times we got to that point with a half decent move then you could see the man in possession wondering where his options were.....inevitably there were none or very few and the ball was held up and passed sideways or backwards. . Charlie Wyke played an excellent target man role today but no-one really went past him or overlapped. Ross has to find a way of getting more bodies up when we break forward

A good hard fought win today but the weakness still looks fairly obvious (to me anyway) It's in the last third of the pitch. I lost count of the number of times we got to that point with a half decent move then you could see the man in possession wondering where his options were.....inevitably there were none or very few and the ball was held up and passed sideways or backwards. . Charlie Wyke played an excellent target man role today but no-one really went past him or overlapped. Ross has to find a way of getting more bodies up when we break forward
I think Wyke up front with the likes of a fitter McGeady and McNulty playing off him could work. The real problem is Ross is still unsure of his most effective 11 and most effective system.

We look a canny side when we get at teams, well, we did today anyway.But i agree, ponderous when we get in good positions, not much on, put this right and we should be fine.Owa the moon with Wyke today, and personally I sensed the tide has changed with supporters with they're attitude towards him, willing him on.

Yes totally agree. We need to support our attackers more.
I think Wyke up front with the likes of a fitter McGeady and McNulty playing off him could work. The real problem is Ross is still unsure of his most effective 11 and most effective system.
Pretty close to it today. Currently I'd have Wyke in instead of Maguire fron the team that started

Last edited:
Ross has to find a way of getting Wyke and McNulty together. Them two would graft some openings and behind them we have goals if we could create the openings. I think Gooch played well today - another amazing grafter and he can score but I want Watmore fit (don’t we all) for his pace. Him and McGeady would contribute goals and we also have goals in Power and Maguire.

As you said Wyke did well when he came on.

I thought the main problem was further down the pitch, especially in the first half. It was simply giving away possession so cheaply, including for the goal. Besides the misplaced passes, being content to play hee'the ball in the middle rather than getting it down, didn't play to our strengths.

Early on we weren't even up to the last 3rd of the pitch. Couldn't be at the SoL today, but a sky stat that popped up on about 15mins for the area of play was 4% in their defensive end!

It was at least 12-13 mins before McGeady had any meaningful contact with the ball.

I don't want to be negative though. We got it together and played some great stuff and thoroughly deserved the win against a promotion rival. Players should take confidence from the overall performance.

Yes totally agree. We need to support our attackers more.

Pretty close to it today. Currently I'd have Wyke in instead of Maguire fron the team that started

Maguire has a lot of qualities but he just lacks that energy and movement. Whether it's a lack of condition I don't know but I watched him a few times second half when we were crying out for someone to make those runs into space to give options and he just looked as if he didn't fancy that aspect of the job.

We look a canny side when we get at teams, well, we did today anyway.But i agree, ponderous when we get in good positions, not much on, put this right and we should be fine.Owa the moon with Wyke today, and personally I sensed the tide has changed with supporters with they're attitude towards him, willing him on.

I'm curious as to whether Power can play the defensive midfielder role instead of Leadbitter or Mcgeouch rather than along side them. He does tend to sit a bit deep but has an inclination to break forward at times too and that changed the midfield dynamic a bit. I'm at a loss why we need two players in the middle doing the same job and it leaves us light up top especially if our wide players are, well, out wide. 🤷‍♂️

I'm curious as to whether Power can play the defensive midfielder role instead of Leadbitter or Mcgeouch rather than along side them. He does tend to sit a bit deep but has an inclination to break forward at times too and that changed the midfield dynamic a bit. I'm at a loss why we need two players in the middle doing the same job and it leaves us light up top especially if our wide players are, well, out wide. 🤷‍♂️
I'd rather Dobson be in there tbh, Power and Dobson would give us more attacking wise, looked like safety first today.

Thought we had a spell in the second half we looked really good. Gooch looked sharper. Power pushed on and players looked to get in space and move the ball quickly.
Saying that I cant remember their keeper making a save in the second half

Back