Conservatory Door

Just moved into a house with a conservatory.
It has a double uPVC door and when open the right hand door handle lifts up fully and will lock.
When I close the door the handle will only lift about two thirds up and therefore won't lock.

What am I looking for and how do I fix it?

It has a double uPVC door and when open the right hand door handle lifts up fully and will lock.
When I close the door the handle will only lift about two thirds up and therefore won't lock.

Sounds like your locks are out of alignment.

Funnily enough the house on My Dream Home yesterday had a similar problem. They decided to replace the door and to their horror found there was no beam supporting any of the brick work above the door, and a risk the whole wall would fall if they removed the door. Get someone who is knowledgeable in this area before moving the door.

Sometimes the plastic hinges have a cover on them hiding the allen key adjustment can you not post a pic of the hinge? if not it will need toe and heeling which involves removing the glass an re fitting (google it) but I would'nt recommend doing it yourself.

Sometimes the plastic hinges have a cover on them hiding the allen key adjustment can you not post a pic of the hinge? if not it will need toe and heeling which involves removing the glass an re fitting (google it) but I would'nt recommend doing it yourself.

I made a video :lol: this is purely for a mate, who couldn't answer my query

Had the same trouble when i moved, piss easy fix actualy. The hinge at 00:6 seconds has plastic caps covering the allen bolts, first look at the doors, do they look out of true at all? have a quick look on Youtube on how to lift/lower or align the doors (easier than me trying to explain). but is really was easy to fix.

One of the lock bolts will probably not be going easily into its keep. Try shutting the door and pulling hard on the handle before lifting handle. Maybe its the top or bottom bolts that are reluctant to go in. That bottom keep looks to have a mark on it. Try getting someone else to shut the door, then you stay outside. Then push hard on first, the top of the closing door while the person inside turns the handle up.Then do same at the bottom. I'm no expert, but these are common solutions.

The loose fitting at 1:10 might also be an issue - the 'receiver' for the lock's 'tongue' (is that the correct terminology?).

Because it's loose it might not be pulling the door in tight enough meaning the hook-like latches on the edge of the door or the top and/or bottom bolts are missing their receiver holes. It looks like it's missing a screw at the bottom where you can adjust it to suit. Get a screw that fits and adjust the door accordingly otherwise it'll never shut properly unless you pull it shut really hard before trying to lift the handle.

Back