Concerts

I used to go to concerts originally where you were free to leave your seat and go and stand where you want. But I think after the death of a fan at a concert in 1974 the rules about staying in your seat became tighter.
That's understandable.
I was at the final concert for the Jam, at Wembley Arena, back in the 80's.
I've not been to a concert, for a good while.
The last concert I was at, was to see the Pogues and the Dropkick Murphy's, at the Metro Arena in Newcastle, around 15 years ago.

I find the £5.80 for a pint of San Miguel in Academy Music Group venues disgusting and much prefer independent venues. The smaller the venue the better for me. I used to love The Riverside in Newcastle during my youth which was the perfect size for the bands I liked.
Minimise your drinking inside by getting half cut before you go in and only doing maintenance drinking.

I saw The Jam at Croydon Greyhound (pub) about 1977.
Lucky you.
One of my first gigs, was to see the Buzzcocks in Manchester, in 1978 or 79, I was 16 years old in '79, and that gig, certainly opened my eyes, and ears.

The Jam, certainly stood the test of time, but imo, Weller broke the band up, at just the right time, before they grew stale.

Exactly what I do but I can't understand why they don't realise they would sell much more if they lowered the price by £1 a pint. Gig venues in London are cheaper than that lot.
I often ponder this. Why would they rather sell 1000 pints at £5.50 than 2000 pints at £4 ? Unless I’m missing something about pub economics.
I’m going on Thursday. We’re meeting at 4 and won’t be going in til the last minute to minimise spending in there.

Last edited:
I often ponder this. Why would they rather sell 1000 pints at £5.50 than 2000 pints at £4 ? Unless I’m missing something about pub economics.
It staggers me. I was at one of their venues last night which has three bars that were all well staffed and they were largely doing nothing as people weren't drinking. I only had two pints there due to knowing the horrendous prices. The previous night I was at an independent venue in Manchester and the bar downstairs was selling (admittedly not up to much) lager for £2 a pint.

me and my mate bought tickets from Volume for a band at the Riverside. we were excited to get there and be first in the queue, then a lass came out and asked if were there to see the band. we excitedly said we were and she said they'd cancelled. we took our tickets back to Volume the next day and it turned out we were the only two who bought tickets for them 😄
:lol:
which band?

Depends, prefer smaller venues but Springsteen at the SOL was great , depends if the crowd is full of knackers or not. Plus if you want to see a massive production ie Roger Waters then it's going to be in a bigger venue.

Going to see The Chats tomorrow at the waterfront in Norwich, great small ish venue that occasionally gets some fairly big acts.. Machinehead have been there a couple of times. Much prefer it as a venue to the larger stadium style places!

I'd agree, that I'd prefer to see a new band in the local pub.

But, I've not been to one of the "big" venues since the eighties, the experience must have changed?

Not a fan of Avril Lavigne, so probably won't do that one.
Pretty sterile ,big screens ,lots of mobile phones
Look at gig guides for academy's or Boiler shop or Sage 2
Take a gamble .
Exactly what I do but I can't understand why they don't realise they would sell much more if they lowered the price by £1 a pint. Gig venues in London are cheaper than that lot.
You fancy a pint so you get one ,price is a bit steep
You fancy another but don't bother because of the price mentioning you would have if it was a quid cheaper ?

Last edited:
You fancy a pint so you get one ,price is a bit steep
You fancy another but don't bother because of the price mentioning you would have if it was a quid cheaper ?
Nope. I know the prices so I'd get to the venue earlier if the price was more sensible. I only caught the end of the support act on Saturday night but I would have been there for all of his set but I was drinking in a nearby pub instead.

Back