Concerts

Not been to one for many a long year. ( thinking big stadia like Wembley or O2 etc)

Quite happy to listen to music at home, cheap, no travelling, booze on tap etc...

Is it worth going to a big concert or are they all a bit sterile these days?

( Just watching elo on TV, and the audience is quite old, as you would expect)

Wouldn’t bother mate. Just keep to the little venues. Avril Lavigne is playing Brixton 02 next year if you’ve got nothing planned.

Wouldn’t bother mate. Just keep to the little venues. Avril Lavigne is playing Brixton 02 next year if you’ve got nothing planned.
I'd agree, that I'd prefer to see a new band in the local pub.

But, I've not been to one of the "big" venues since the eighties, the experience must have changed?

Not a fan of Avril Lavigne, so probably won't do that one.

ive Enjoyed going to gigs the last 3-4 years than at any other point. Also saw more in that period than probs the ten years before that. That’s everything from stadiums to festivals to mid size venues to pubs. Thankfully enjoyed them all.
Spotify has made me so much more open to new bands and with that I see them live as they need to tour more to make the cash.
For the first time in my life I’m music fan first football fan second.

But, I've not been to one of the "big" venues since the eighties, the experience must have changed?

I've not been a fan of stadium gigs but I did go to see Muse at the O2 in London earlier this year. Got to say I thoroughly enjoyed it and the three days I spent in London. Here's a video I took of the gig to give you a flavour. Not sure if it will play on here but I'll post a link.

I've not been a fan of stadium gigs but I did go to see Muse at the O2 in London earlier this year. Got to say I thoroughly enjoyed it and the three days I spent in London. Here's a video I took of the gig to give you a flavour. Not sure if it will play on here but I'll post a link.
Glad you enjoyed it. I like Muse too, but wouldn't really fancy a place that big any more.

I like venues the size of the O2 in Newcastle. I'd always wanted to go to a concert at the stadium of light, eventually went and found it expensive and full of knackers who never go to a gig and think they have to behave a certain way

There’s a much better sense of occasion at stadium shows, I find. But logistically they are awful - queuing to get in, can’t get anywhere near the front, queues at the bar, miles to the bogs etc. I find places like the O2 Academies a better size.

We are off to see this in March

My favourite opera. However it is sung in English for this production, so I've passed. Hope you enjoy though.

Big screens now so you can watch the artist you are too far away from. :confused:

Last edited:

Same here.
The last big venue gig, I was at, was for U2, The Joshua Tree, tour, back in 1987.

There’s a much better sense of occasion at stadium shows, I find. But logistically they are awful - queuing to get in, can’t get anywhere near the front, queues at the bar, miles to the bogs etc. I find places like the O2 Academies a better size.
I find the £5.80 for a pint of San Miguel in Academy Music Group venues disgusting and much prefer independent venues. The smaller the venue the better for me. I used to love The Riverside in Newcastle during my youth which was the perfect size for the bands I liked.

I find the £5.80 for a pint of San Miguel in Academy Music Group venues disgusting and much prefer independent venues. The smaller the venue the better for me. I used to love The Riverside in Newcastle during my youth which was the perfect size for the bands I liked.

me and my mate bought tickets from Volume for a band at the Riverside. we were excited to get there and be first in the queue, then a lass came out and asked if were there to see the band. we excitedly said we were and she said they'd cancelled. we took our tickets back to Volume the next day and it turned out we were the only two who bought tickets for them 😄
Big screens now so you can watch the artist you are too far away from. :confused:

might as well just watch a live DVD

Back