computer/ laptop advice

Upthere

Winger
This isn’t my subject at all, any advice is appreciated.

I went to reboot my Dell laptop. Half way through it crashed and when it loads it only lets me on as an administrator.

Nothing on the desktop will load. It won’t let me get onto any settings, the search bar won’t work etc.

When I try it comes up saying ‘location is not available, Windows/system32/configuration/systemprofile/desktop is unavailable’

Will this require a trip to the shop to get it fixed ? Any advice ? Cheers

This isn’t my subject at all, any advice is appreciated.

I went to reboot my Dell laptop. Half way through it crashed and when it loads it only lets me on as an administrator.

Nothing on the desktop will load. It won’t let me get onto any settings, the search bar won’t work etc.

When I try it comes up saying ‘location is not available, Windows/system32/configuration/systemprofile/desktop is unavailable’

Will this require a trip to the shop to get it fixed ? Any advice ? Cheers
Restart the lappy, as soon as it boots keep hitting F8 during boot up. When it gives you options, select "last known good configuration".

Let us know how it goes.

Alternatively, if you still have the Windows CD just pop it in and click "repair".

Last edited:
Restart the lappy, as soon as it boots keep hitting F8 during boot up. When it gives you options, select "last known good configuration".

Let us know how it goes.

Alternatively, if you still have the Windows CD just pop it in and click "repair".

Tried that marra. Unfortunately can’t find CD.

Options came up of
Vefi Boot:
‘Windows Boot Manager’

Other options:
‘BIOS Setup’
‘Bios Flash Update’
‘Diagnostics’
‘Change Boot Mode Settings’

I have no clue at all.

Tried that marra. Unfortunately can’t find CD.

Options came up of
Vefi Boot:
‘Windows Boot Manager’

Other options:
‘BIOS Setup’
‘Bios Flash Update’
‘Diagnostics’
‘Change Boot Mode Settings’

I have no clue at all.
Ah shite, you're on Win 10. My mistake.

Try this

Step 1. Go to C drive, click into Users folder and then your username. Find the Desktop folder there.

Step 2. Copy the Desktop folder (using Ctrl+C or mouse), and navigate to C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile, under systemprofile paste the Desktop folder there.

Step 3. Restart your system and check if your problem is fixed.

Ah shite, you're on Win 10. My mistake.

Try this

Step 1. Go to C drive, click into Users folder and then your username. Find the Desktop folder there.

Step 2. Copy the Desktop folder (using Ctrl+C or mouse), and navigate to C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile, under systemprofile paste the Desktop folder there.

Step 3. Restart your system and check if your problem is fixed.

Struggling to get into the C drive. It won’t load when I select to on the desktop.

Struggling to get into the C drive. It won’t load when I select to on the desktop.
Right, you might have to do it in "safe mode".

Open the start menu, tap the power key, hold the shift key and select "restart". When it boots, select "Troubleshoot". From there you have a few options. You can do a "System image recovery" if you've backed up, "Startup repair" or, if you go into "Startup settings", you can boot into safe mode and try the above again.

This might help
7 ways to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 10 | Digital Citizen

Open the start menu, tap the power key, hold the shift key and select "restart". When it boots, select "Troubleshoot". From there you have a few options. You can do a "System image recovery" if you've backed up, "Startup repair" or, if you go into "Startup settings", you can boot into safe mode and try the above again.

This might help
Congratulations on your patience, determination and knowledge.

This might help

When I went into th C drive my username wasn’t there, that might be as I tried a full system restore.

Also I’ve tried to do it in safe mode however my start menu won’t open. When I click it nothing comes up.

I’m having a mare.

that might be as I tried a full system restore.
Did it complete the restore? If you've stopped it midway you might have a problem.

Try System restore again. Control panel>Recovery>System Restore>Next

Choose a restore point from yesterday or last week, whenever it was working properly.

Did it complete the restore? If you've stopped it midway you might have a problem.

Try System restore again. Control panel>Recovery>System Restore>Next

Choose a restore point from yesterday or last week, whenever it was working properly.

It appears to have done- and during this it’s meant I can’t even get on the control panel.

Would this be where I need the CD provided with the laptop ?

Cheers for this by the way

Would this be where I need the CD provided with the laptop ?
You might do unfortunately.

Did you get it into safe mode? If you get it into safe mode and it boots into administrator you should be able to access the CP like.

What happens when you click control panel?

You might do unfortunately.

Did you get it into safe mode? If you get it into safe mode and it boots into administrator you should be able to access the CP like.

What happens when you click control panel?

I got into admin but still wouldn’t let me access CP. Nothing would open up.

So you are able to access Windows? Can you connect to the internet?

I can get onto the administrator and when I go onto the desktop nothing opens at all.

And there’s no little icon to access a WiFi network.

Last edited:

Back