1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Company car tax

Discussion in 'SMB' started by offshore, Oct 12, 2017.

1. offshore

offshore Central Defender

This new job comes with a company car or an allowance if you use your own. At the moment we are a one car family ( I have a motorbike) that she uses for work so it's a company car for me. Question is from what I've read the amount of tax you pay also goes on the co2 emissions. But I will be doing lots of traveling I want somethimg big ish like a Mondeo size car so it's comfortable and big enough for tools and stuff. Any suggestions on this? I will be using for personal use also

2. legend7

legend7 Central Defender

If you do end up with a few choices go on comcar and it calculates exactly what tax you will pay on a specific car and a seperate figure if you get fuel included too.
    Really useful.

3. offshore

I’ve looked about but it’s all new to me,I’m not into cars as much as I used to be. I like the new mondeo and also the mazda6

4. legend7

legend7 Central Defender

5. offshore

6. legend7

legend7 Central Defender

100 quid a month for a free car then.
    As i say if you put details in comcar website it will tell you exactly.

7. offshore

I did and that was the average that came out. Subaru xv looks nice also.. and I want an automatic

8. legend7

legend7 Central Defender

Never seen those before.
    Infiniti are doing some crackers cheap deals at mo.
    Is your company tied in to any particular ones or you can just choose anything.

9. Joe Public

Joe Public Striker

It goes on book value, emissions and if it’s a petrol or diesel. Stay at 1998cc, and a reasonably priced low emission motor and it’s not too bad.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  10. legend7

legend7 Central Defender

O
    Or you could take the allowance and see if you can lease/buy something cheaper bearing in mind as well as the allowance you won't be paying the 100 a month tax if that makes sense.

11. Cowvahlo

Cowvahlo Striker

Here’s an old safc badge you can stick on the rear window of your new car mate...

[​IMG]

Kevsgreat likes this.
  12. HANDSOME_DAN

HANDSOME_DAN Central Defender

factor in you are losing the allowance cash ie total cost of comp car = tax hit + lost cash

13. gillythedilf

gillythedilf Striker

Isn't it better to just claim the 40 odd pence mileage for the 1st 10k like Dan ?

14. offshore

Your a twat I hate tigers....lions are better

I just wanna make life easy dude and let the company sort it out. I’ve just got to pick the car I want and looking it’s a choice between the mondeo estate or the mazda6..

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Cowvahlo likes this.
  15. Cowvahlo

Cowvahlo Striker

:lol:I’ll remember that for the next badge

16. offshore

Cheers...looking forward to it

Cowvahlo likes this.
  17. Joe Public

Joe Public Striker

He will be paying tax on the allowance.

Goat Eyes likes this.
  18. Poo Butties

Poo Butties Full Back

Depends what they pay per mile for the private car, but there's very few cars that you'd actually want to drive that work out tax efficient to own through a company

19. JAZZMANB

JAZZMANB Striker

List price is a factor as well so things like Skoda do well
    Octavia and Superb come out tops in What car
    What car magazine guide gives you all spec and even tax figure

20. Wonderbra

Wonderbra Central Defender

I would go for the allowance, buy or lease a car and claim the 45p a mile.