Compact advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperKev

Striker
It's my niece's 18th next month and we are getting her a camera for when she buggers off swanning around during her gap year [TBF she's working in the Lakes, then France then New Zealand] and the ones that I've got it down to are the

Panny TZ10 (£250), TZ7 (last years model but can get for around £180) and the Canon Powershot SX210 ((£230 and the accessories seem cheaper).

The TZ10 and the Powershot seem to get a similar reviews particularly for image quality except the build quality of the panny seems a bit better than the 210 but has issues with the battery due to the gimmicy GPS).

The TZ7 is last years model but they don't seem to have made a huge improvement in image quality.

Any advice oh wise ones of the SMB?

Last edited:

Roger

The Gaffer
Staff member
More than happy with my TZ7 that I got a few months back.

Everything in this set was taken with it (bar the shot of the camera itself) - ignore the video, its much better and not jerky or blurred until flickr got their hands onto it.

SuperKev

Striker
More than happy with my TZ7 that I got a few months back.

Everything in this set was taken with it (bar the shot of the camera itself) - ignore the video, its much better and not jerky or blurred until flickr got their hands onto it.
Good enough recommendation for me boss (and saves me a few notes :oops:).

Excellent shots BTW

SuperKev

Striker
Went with the TZ7 and must say after I have checked it out to make sure everythig is in working order (well I couldn't give her a faulty camera for her birthday!!) it is a corker.

The optical zoom is bloody amazing.

Roger

The Gaffer
Staff member
Yes the zoom is outstanding, from quite wide at one end to 300mm equivalent at the other end - and the optical stabilisation actually makes it useable at the long end.

Status
Not open for further replies.