Commuting to Newcastle for work

It’s not just the tyne bridge they want to put a toll on, its every bridge over the tyne.

It’s a massive revenue stream for the councils if they manage to pass it mind. It’s going to happen regardless of what the public say on the consultation.

in their defence, if it wasnt on every bridge it would cause carnage (!) to all other the bridges with people diverting to avoid.

i can't quite cut through the online chatter about this. some people saying its the council making money for old rope, some saying its the nasty eu forcing rules on the uk and some saying its london using air quality to allow central funding to be cut & the local congestion charges filling in the gaps.

still not entirely sure who or what to believe, and can't figure if it will ever come to pass.

in their defence, if it wasnt on every bridge it would cause carnage (!) to all other the bridges with people diverting to avoid.

i can't quite cut through the online chatter about this. some people saying its (a) the council making money for old rope, some saying(b) its the nasty eu forcing rules on the uk and some saying (c) its london using air quality to allow central funding to be cut & the local congestion charges filling in the gaps.

still not entirely sure who or what to believe, and can't figure if it will ever come to pass.
It's A and C definitely. If it wasn't a cash grab it wouldn't include the bridges, it would start further north. They've seen how much the tunnel rakes in and decided they want a slice of the pie.

Last edited:
Currently working for an organisation on team valley in gateshead. The London based CEO has decided that he doesn't like the office here and wants to have one in Newcastle city centre. Claims they've done research and most employees at this location live north of the Tyne so Newcastle is better for them. It's gone down like a lead balloon. This place has free parking and easy to get to. Where a city location means many will have to switch to Metros or pay to park. So there's people a couple of grand a year down.

I really don't want to have rely on the Metro when I've got kids to pick up.

I filled in the consultation form. It’s not just the tyne bridge they want to put a toll on, its every bridge over the tyne.

It’s a massive revenue stream for the councils if they manage to pass it mind. It’s going to happen regardless of what the public say on the consultation.

Tbf my car wouldn’t be effected by the so called toll or congestion charge but the wife’s will be and we live right on the edge of the proposed zone.
Including the A1? Or am I being daft?

I live in Hetton and commute. Sometimes car, although increasingly bus again now. The bus link is cracking from Hetton on the X1. Wouldn't thank you for a Metro commute as they always seem to go to shit.

Back