Commuting to Newcastle for work

She will not drive to work even on a Saturday and Sunday when there is ample parking outside her office. Will be going back up 10:15pm to get her and no doubt a couple of her mates. Feckin taxi driver!!!
There’s literally no need to drive if she works at the regent centre mind.

I’d be telling her to give her head a shake and use the metro

There’s literally no need to drive if she works at the regent centre mind.

I’d be telling her to give her head a shake and use the metro

Alternative weeks she starts at 6:45am so no transport to east bolden or Seaburn metro.
She's 61 and grafting I retired at 55 so I don't argue.

Anyone do this from Sunderland?
Whats it like, metros reliable, costs etc
The £104 pass you quote is the one for bus /train/ metro , everything really . The other lad I think is just quoting the price of metro only pass .
Where in Sunderland you travelling from ?
I’ve done it 30 year now , it’s a right ball ache and takes me one hour exactly door t door , but there’s hardly any jobs in Sunderland centre , just read metro paper or a book on metro or if get a seat power nap :lol:

I retired at 55 so I don't argue.
. < legend :cool:

Metro is fine tbf. The only issue is that when something does fuck up, it knackers the entire system and there is rarely a quick fix.

The X24 is supposedly canny - goes from town up Chester Rd, then straight through to Gateshead then Newcastle. Uses bus lanes aswell so rarely caught up in traffic. If you live Barnes, Grindon, Hastings Hill way it’s much quicker than the Metro. Think it takes about 40 minutes from town centre.

The £104 pass you quote is the one for bus /train/ metro , everything really . The other lad I think is just quoting the price of metro only pass .
I’ve done it 30 year now , it’s a right ball ache and takes me one hour exactly door t door , but there’s hardly any jobs in Sunderland centre , just read metro paper or a book on metro or if get a seat power nap :lol:

You need a motorbike too.

Rather not say exactly but southside no where near the south hylton line. I'd need a bus into town then probably another out of Newcastle to graft. That's why I was looking at the one that includes buses.

I drive in as I can start at 7, takes around 25 mins.
Same atm but this bridge tax is making me think of alternatives.

Alternative weeks she starts at 6:45am so no transport to east bolden or Seaburn metro.
She's 61 and grafting I retired at 55 so I don't argue.
Jammy bastard.

I reckon by the time I reach retirement age, retirement age will be in the mid 70s

Rather not say exactly but southside no where near the south hylton line. I'd need a bus into town then probably another out of Newcastle to graft. That's why I was looking at the one that includes buses.

Same atm but this bridge tax is making me think of alternatives.
In to Sunderland and out of Newcastle is a pretty crap commute. No direct bus into Gateshead interchange from where you are?

It depends what time you use the metro and where you get off. Late at night on Fridays the north end of the metro can resemble episode 3 of the new series of Game of Thrones.

If you're lucky and get off at Sunderland late you get to meet the phantom shitter.

There is NO Tyne bridge toll tax , it’s just a proposal for couple of years time and may never happen anyway

Could you park near a metro station ?

There is NO Tyne bridge toll tax , it’s just a proposal for couple of years time and may never happen anyway

Could you park near a metro station ?
I filled in the consultation form. It’s not just the tyne bridge they want to put a toll on, its every bridge over the tyne.

It’s a massive revenue stream for the councils if they manage to pass it mind. It’s going to happen regardless of what the public say on the consultation.

Tbf my car wouldn’t be effected by the so called toll or congestion charge but the wife’s will be and we live right on the edge of the proposed zone.

It's been a few year since I worked through there but I didn't find the Metro all that bad getting to work. It was pretty often shite coming back though. Nowt worse than having to get off at Pelaw or Heworth and waiting in the cold for 20+ minutes for another one that you know is gonna be packed.

A few times I got the 56 back but it takes forever.

Does your employer offer any discounts on Nexus passes @Pseudonym Number 1? I was able to get a Metro pass pretty cheap, by the end I just used to drive to Gateshead and travel a few stops in on the Metro.

It's been a few year since I worked through there but I didn't find the Metro all that bad getting to work. It was pretty often shite coming back though. Nowt worse than having to get off at Pelaw or Heworth and waiting in the cold for 20+ minutes for another one that you know is gonna be packed.

A few times I got the 56 back but it takes forever.

Does your employer offer any discounts on Nexus passes @Pseudonym Number 1? I was able to get a Metro pass pretty cheap, by the end I just used to drive to Gateshead and travel a few stops in on the Metro.
Doubt it but it won't hurt to ask.

Metro is fine tbf. The only issue is that when something does fuck up, it knackers the entire system and there is rarely a quick fix.

The X24 is supposedly canny - goes from town up Chester Rd, then straight through to Gateshead then Newcastle. Uses bus lanes aswell so rarely caught up in traffic. If you live Barnes, Grindon, Hastings Hill way it’s much quicker than the Metro. Think it takes about 40 minutes from town centre.

X24 is class.
It’s basically Sunderland City Centre -> Chester Road onto A19 observing all the stops on the way -> Gateshead high street -> Newcastle Monument

It’s actually quicker than the Metro as it doesn’t fuck about with stops once it gets onto the A19

Last edited:
I filled in the consultation form. It’s not just the tyne bridge they want to put a toll on, its every bridge over the tyne.

It’s a massive revenue stream for the councils if they manage to pass it mind. It’s going to happen regardless of what the public say on the consultation.

Tbf my car wouldn’t be effected by the so called toll or congestion charge but the wife’s will be and we live right on the edge of the proposed zone.

still think be couple year away and will cause havoc with traffic

Back