Commuting to Newcastle for work

Don’t drive.

All you fuckers clogging up the roads towards Newcastle on a morning and on the way out on a night are the being used as the reason to introduce the congestion charge
Which is why I'm asking about the alternatives, fucked if I'm paying to go into Newcastle.

It's just an excuse to make more money anyway.

How's it only 2 zones? All of Sunderland is zone 4 and you have to go through 3 and 2 to get to Newcastle as zone 1 :confused:

There are only 3 zones, A, B & C - Metro Zone Map . Seaburn is in zone B if you're travelling to Newcastle, or zone C if you're travelling to Sunderland. Would only need an all-zone (A,B & C) from Seaburn, if you travelled to airport each day.

I worked in central Newcastle around fifteen years ago.

I found it best in terms of both time and cost to drive to Fellgate, park for free then get the metro from there.

The leg from the town to Fellgate takes the most time and you reduce the trip to two zones.

Also, as the trip is shorter, less overall chance of cancellations.

Last edited:
Anyone do this from Sunderland?
Whats it like, metros reliable, costs etc

I've been commuting SR6 to Newcastle for 9 years. 8 of them getting the metro, it mostly works, but when it doesn't your basically screwed. I've been on the 900 before, I've been on the 56 before, massive queues, very slow etc. If you get on at st peters or earlier you'll get a seat, any later and you'll not. For going the other way all the seats are taken up at haymarket. That'll all change when they get the new tube style trains.

Last year I got totally sick of it, not just the times when it was broken, but the times when it didn't show up, the lack of communication, spending so much time packed in like sardines. 8 years was my limit. So I passed my motorbike license and bought a bike. I can now do SR6 to Newcastle in 20-25min, I am not limited by where I can go, ie can go and pick up some shopping on my way home and if anything was to go wrong with the bike the metro is a backup. There are various free parking places in the city centre.

As far as costs go, I paid £500 for lessons and tests, £1500 for the bike, £150 a year insurance and about £75 a month fuel. So it will cost more, but for the state of mind, it's worth it.

She's just saying that so you'll give her a lift man

She will not drive to work even on a Saturday and Sunday when there is ample parking outside her office. Will be going back up 10:15pm to get her and no doubt a couple of her mates. Feckin taxi driver!!!

Back