Commuting south from gateshead

Suomifinland

Central Defender
Morning all,

I know that driving from Durham into Newcastle is a faff, but has anyone got any opinion on commuting from south end of Gateshead down to sort of Newton Aycliffe area? I'm thinking of doing it & thinking that it shouldn't be as bad as going other way? Looks about 25 miles which is no biggy but coukd be soul destroying if roads are bad.

Cheers for replies. Looked at AA online maps & not seen any major issues. Got a relatively short commute at minute but took me 90 min other day. Was thinking can't be much worse than that.

Good job car got stop start!

I travel down from Gosforth to Teesside and that's a pain in the arse at times but Gateshead to Aycliffe will be no bother at all

Can imagine that's painful. How do you get out of ncl? Tyne Bridge, A1 or tunnel?

Straight down the A1 to the Bradbury turnoff, then the back roads to join the A66. I leave the house at 6.45am most mornings so can get down to the Durham area before the traffic gets too busy.

I do Durham to Aycliffe Ind Est every day. Although it's down to one lane south of the A689 turn off, it's no bother at all. The good people of County Durham are excellent drivers IMHO.

Morning all,

I know that driving from Durham into Newcastle is a faff, but has anyone got any opinion on commuting from south end of Gateshead down to sort of Newton Aycliffe area? I'm thinking of doing it & thinking that it shouldn't be as bad as going other way? Looks about 25 miles which is no biggy but coukd be soul destroying if roads are bad.

You'll never make a Scott (or Amundson) of the Antarctic.

Cheers for replies. Looked at AA online maps & not seen any major issues. Got a relatively short commute at minute but took me 90 min other day. Was thinking can't be much worse than that.

Good job car got stop start!

I don't think that would be bad at all.

Look at google maps for a few days for when you would be leaving. They give a fairly accurate picture of the delays etc.

but has anyone got any opinion on commuting from south end of Gateshead down to sort of Newton Aycliffe area?
i've done wardley to meadowfield every day for the last 10 - its far easier going south, than it is north. depending on the time, the A1 slows south of chester to carrville but is always moving along. i can't see how it can be any worse south of bowburn.

Looks about 25 miles which is no biggy but coukd be soul destroying if roads are bad.
I did Wardley to scotswood road for the previous 6 years, and that was soul destroying...

Back