Commuting distance and overtime

Dave Herbal

Striker
Picture the scenario:
Two people work at the same job. Person A lives next door and has a 2 minute commute. Person B doesn’t and has a 1 hour commute.
A decides they will do 2 hours unpaid overtime several times a week, leaving the house at 7 and returning at 6.
For B to do the same, it would mean leaving the house at 6 and returning at 7.
In your opinion, is it fair to expect both to do the same overtime, when one already has a working day 2 hours longer?

Picture the scenario:
Two people work at the same job. Person A lives next door and has a 2 minute commute. Person B doesn’t and has a 1 hour commute.
A decides they will do 2 hours unpaid overtime several times a week, leaving the house at 7 and returning at 6.
In your opinion, is it fair to expect both to do the same overtime, when one already has a working day 2 hours longer?
Why would anyone do unpaid overtime?

A shot in the dark, but maybe their salary reflects the fact that they're expected to go above and beyond at times to get the job done?
Pfffffffffft, been there, done that. Things that are "expected" can go fuck themselves. Unless it is written into their contract then they should do their hours and no more unless paid

I have been on both sides of the fence here, but I always paid my staff for OT.
Different when you are in management of course, I often worked 11 hour days on a 37 hour per week contract

A shot in the dark, but maybe their salary reflects the fact that they're expected to go above and beyond at times to get the job done?
Yeah, let’s say this is the case, like a lot of salaried people. “As and when required by the business” I think is the catch all line.

Picture the scenario:

Why does B feel it necessary to work the same hours as A?

All things considered, B is worse off. But these circumstances are only part of the story.

Person A should be inviting Person B in for his supper. And possibly a go on his missus before the long drive back home.

Pics of your missus before I accept the challenge.

Back