1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commonwealth Games

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Porridge, Apr 21, 2017.

1. The Hunt

The Hunt Winger

Should be spent on emptying wheelie bins and not some big sports day.

2. That's what you pay Council Tax for.

Different budget altogether for a big sports day (fortnight)

3. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

I'm sure they could use The Darlington Arena too

Porridge likes this.
  4. Good shout

5. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

Might as well. I'm not sure what the council are doing with it

6. That's hockey sorted

7. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

That's one fucking huge stadium for just Hockey.

8. janiep

janiep Striker

No. However public money to fund facilities including the legacy facilities of big games (Manchester and Glasgow Commonwealths, not just London Olympics) is unsurprisingly planned to distribute them for the future needs of the sport particularly for talent development. Hence for example there's only one Olympic size pool in the NE (which is in Sunderland). When it was decided 15 or so years ago that the fact there was only one in the whole country was a disgrace, it was also decided to spread the new ones geographically - I think the plan was to build six. Just one example from one sport.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Epping likes this.
  9. Blackpool i think was the only one

Don't disregard how popular hockey is.

10. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

25,000 people worth? That's if the council will allow the ground to be at capacity, which I doubt

11. MickeyV

MickeyV Midfield

Rowing could go to Keilder. Archery on the green outside Durham Cathedral. Somewhere similarly historic for the shooting. If there was a velodrome, it would just be a matter of getting the rest of the ducks in a row (also for the shooting);).

12. nyron4england

nyron4england Winger

im sure theres a partial velodrome at boros running track.

edit, clairville did. it got knocked down since i ran there :cry::cry:

13. shooting / Archery could be held at Kynren site.. historic palace in the background and 8000 seats already there

MickeyV likes this.
  14. thee pool hasn't got anywhere near enough seats - do it in the north sea and have the air show at the same time

15. stick a few benches around the edge. very few pools have that much spectator space tbh. take out a side and put some temporary stuff in

16. nyron4england

nyron4england Winger

turn the north stand 180 degrees

17. just project whats happening inside to a big screen.. cheap and easy