Comfort Foods and Reminders of better times - Panaculty

Jimmer13

Midfield
First we got the win and then I had a bowl of Panaculty for me tea. Unfortunately no Stottie to go with it, but reminded me of me Saturday tea times after being at the home matches and my Ma had it on the table ready for my return.

Never quite tastes the same as my Mas's though. Then bath and shaved, dressed and out with the lads for a bevvy. Happy memories more so of me ole dear and Da being around and saying don't use all the hot water we have to get ready to go to the club.

Felt quite comforted with happy memories for a short while.

Never heard of it

Unfortunate, it was a working households culinary delight, amongst others:lol::lol: Also remember getting Crawford's pasties and peas from the Sunderland town shop over from the fire station next to the old swimming baths.....another delight

Last edited:
This is just the excuse I need to tell an old tale. Mate of my Dad's had a shop on Red House and one of his customers would occasionally buy a tin of dogfood even though she didn't have a dog. After a few times he asked her why. She told him her f**king husband had drunk all the money again and she was taking the kids to her mother's for a few days. But she always left him a big pan of panaculty to see him through the week....made from dogfood!
Incidentally, my Mam's was made from shin of beef, stewed to a turn, then the layers baked hot so the tattie went crisp. Yum!! (Wags tail!)

This is just the excuse I need to tell an old tale. Mate of my Dad's had a shop on Red House and one of his customers would occasionally buy a tin of dogfood even though she didn't have a dog. After a few times he asked her why. She told him her f**king husband had drunk all the money again and she was taking the kids to her mother's for a few days. But she always left him a big pan of panaculty to see him through the week....made from dogfood!
Incidentally, my Mam's was made from shin of beef, stewed to a turn, then the layers baked hot so the tattie went crisp. Yum!! (Wags tail!)
We used leftover brisket from Sunday dinner.

What is it?

So panackelty…what is it? Panackelty is a slow cooked meal, that closely resembles stew; you may see other explanations for it, but to be completely honest…it’s a stew made of meat, potatoes and veg. Don’t make the mistake I did and get it confused with “Pan Haggerty“, just because they sound the same. It originates in North East England, around Durham County. Depending on what people could afford at the time of it being made, you will find meat ingredients ranging from beef, pork and sausage. One of my great-grandfather’s family traditionally made it with pork, due to the cheap price of the meat. While another great-grandfather’s house made it with sausage, because they could afford the more expensive meats from time to time. Older recipes for the meal call for it to be slowly cooked on the stove top; over time my family has adapted the recipe to be slowly cooked in the oven, since the introduction of gas and electric ranges. Don’t get me wrong, just because it goes in the oven, doesn’t mean it is cooked fast.

Ingredients:
  • 7 breakfast sausages (Cut into 1 inch lengths after frying)
  • 1/4lb bacon – diced
  • 1 med onion – diced
  • 3 med potatoes – peeled & cubed (prefer sliced)
  • 1 med turnip – peeled & cubed (Optional)
  • 2 carrots – peeled and coined (Optional)
  • 1 parsnip – peeled and coined (Optional)
Other Ingredients:

• Water
  • Flour for thickening (Optional)
  • Gravy Salts of your preferred choice
Instructions:

• Preheat the oven to 350F
  • Place sausages and bacon in a small roasting pan ( can do in frying pan)
  • Place pan in the oven and let the sausages and bacon cook for an hour (or until cooked), stirring them every 20 minutes or so
  • Once they are cooked remove the pan and drain the fat
  • Turn the oven down to 325F
  • Add the diced onion to the pan and then fill the pan half full of water and return to the oven.
  • I usually let it sit for a few hours, the longer this stews, the better the taste in my opinion
  • One hour BEFORE you want to serve the meal, add the rest of the ingredients (the veg)
  • Return the roaster to the oven for an hour
  • Just prior to serving, remove the roaster from the oven and place on a burner, MED heat
  • Top up with water if needed, and add a Tbsp of flour to thicken the stock, while the roaster is on the burner
  • Once thickened, serve and enjoy!
If you make extra - brilliant the next day.

So panackelty…what is it? Panackelty is a slow cooked meal, that closely resembles stew; you may see other explanations for it, but to be completely honest…it’s a stew made of meat, potatoes and veg. Don’t make the mistake I did and get it confused with “Pan Haggerty“, just because they sound the same. It originates in North East England, around Durham County. Depending on what people could afford at the time of it being made, you will find meat ingredients ranging from beef, pork and sausage. One of my great-grandfather’s family traditionally made it with pork, due to the cheap price of the meat. While another great-grandfather’s house made it with sausage, because they could afford the more expensive meats from time to time. Older recipes for the meal call for it to be slowly cooked on the stove top; over time my family has adapted the recipe to be slowly cooked in the oven, since the introduction of gas and electric ranges. Don’t get me wrong, just because it goes in the oven, doesn’t mean it is cooked fast.

Ingredients:
  • 7 breakfast sausages (Cut into 1 inch lengths after frying)
  • 1/4lb bacon – diced
  • 1 med onion – diced
  • 3 med potatoes – peeled & cubed (prefer sliced)
  • 1 med turnip – peeled & cubed (Optional)
  • 2 carrots – peeled and coined (Optional)
  • 1 parsnip – peeled and coined (Optional)
Other Ingredients:

• Water
  • Flour for thickening (Optional)
  • Gravy Salts of your preferred choice
Instructions:

• Preheat the oven to 350F
  • Place sausages and bacon in a small roasting pan ( can do in frying pan)
  • Place pan in the oven and let the sausages and bacon cook for an hour (or until cooked), stirring them every 20 minutes or so
  • Once they are cooked remove the pan and drain the fat
  • Turn the oven down to 325F
  • Add the diced onion to the pan and then fill the pan half full of water and return to the oven.
  • I usually let it sit for a few hours, the longer this stews, the better the taste in my opinion
  • One hour BEFORE you want to serve the meal, add the rest of the ingredients (the veg)
  • Return the roaster to the oven for an hour
  • Just prior to serving, remove the roaster from the oven and place on a burner, MED heat
  • Top up with water if needed, and add a Tbsp of flour to thicken the stock, while the roaster is on the burner
  • Once thickened, serve and enjoy!
If you make extra - brilliant the next day.
Panack is taties, carrots, onion and corned beef. That's a stew. :lol:

Panack is taties, carrots, onion and corned beef. That's a stew. :lol:

Many different variations I use sliced potatoes, corned beef, sausages and bacon, initially fried then cut up and done in oven with gravy salt or oxo cubes. Onions sometimes. Make mine either all in the frying pan (hence the name) or sometimes in a casserole dish, but always fry the sausage and bacon and cut up then and add corned beef slices x 2 or 3 later(replaces need for flour). All versions are called panack and not stews. rarely add carrots or other vegetables. but attempted to show variations. This one here is my favorite.

Cawthorn's pasties marra.

That's right got the name wrong apologies many years ago and I was but a lad....but the memories of the taste lingers on:lol::lol:

Anyone who’ hasn’t heard of panac is a mag .

Comfort food for us suddick folk is egg and chips with 8 slices of white bread .

Er.. my Mam's was more like a lasagne than a stew. Layer of stewed beef with lots of gravy; layer of onion; layer of sliced potato; repeat and bake in a hotish oven. (Maybe there wasn't much control when cooking in a range/oven heated by a coal fire?) Also had it made with corned beef. I guess family recipes were passed down from Mam to kid over generations, which would account for the different ideas of what is a 'genuine' panaculty. Definitely no dogfood (see above) but she said it was always gone when she went back!

Like a shite version of pan haggerty. ;)
http://coffeewitheverything.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/panackelty-vs-pan-haggerty.html
I use corned beef for what I call a hot pot, and bacon and sausage for Panack as thats how I had panack as a bairn.
Both the same "assembly" though--the meat then layer of sliced tattie, carrots and onions another layer of overlapping tatties. gravy poured over it covered in foil for first hour--then foil off to crisp up top layer of tatties--lush!

Mind you mince and crispy dumplings was a perfect tea for tonight for me:cool::D

Back