Colonoscopy

Totally agree Becs. I know you’ve got Crohn’s pet; I’ve got ulcerative colitis which is much less invasive and have regular colonoscopies and wouldn’t dream about having one without sedation. Can be very uncomfortable without. Wish I lived nearer (Nottingham) I’d have given you a lift. X
Yeah, I have colitis too. It’s unpleasant having the colonoscopy in this country. In Germany they knock you out totally, it takes longer to recover afterwards but is a far more pleasant experience.

They have sent me moviprep, is it really that bad? Have to take it 5pm tommrrow , just dont fancy the after effects of the sedative so would prefer not to have it, however if it's as bad as people make out then guess I have no choice.
I found the Moviprep OK, it worked quite quick and as others have said it really does clear you out so be prepared for that.

Last edited:
If you can get away without having sedation then I would recommend just having the entonox gas & air stuff, you're stuck in there longer when you've had the sedation. I got them to stick the cannula in (me arm :eek:) just in case I changed my mind, but managed with the gas and air ok.

What's the crack with alcohol? Are you allowed some white wine the night before to take the edge off?

Should be fine with it being clear. I had a Pill Endoscopy a month or so ago, and another fella had been supping wine the night before and bloody cointreau :lol:

They have sent me moviprep, is it really that bad? Have to take it 5pm tommrrow , just dont fancy the after effects of the sedative so would prefer not to have it, however if it's as bad as people make out then guess I have no choice.

Don’t worry about it mate. I’ve had two this year and as knackering as the process is, it’s worth doing everything they recommend. Take all your moviprep (with a dribble of orange cordial to take the edge off), drink absurd amounts of water and have the sedative if they offer it. My first was without sedative and was markedly more of a stress.

The procedure itself is a weird sensation and about as comfortable as someone feeding a thin hosepipe up your jacksy sounds, but it’s not painful. It’ll be over before you know it.
I genuinely feel for people who have to get stuff sorted.

I’m dreading this when I get older.

I had my first at 28, and to be honest, should have had it sooner. Never too young for a guided tour of your own pipes :lol:
@Born Never Asked how was it mate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t worry about it mate. I’ve had two this year and as knackering as the process is, it’s worth doing everything they recommend. Take all your moviprep (with a dribble of orange cordial to take the edge off), drink absurd amounts of water and have the sedative if they offer it. My first was without sedative and was markedly more of a stress.

The procedure itself is a weird sensation and about as comfortable as someone feeding a thin hosepipe up your jacksy sounds, but it’s not painful. It’ll be over before you know it.

I had my first at 28, and to be honest, should have had it sooner. Never too young for a guided tour of your own pipes :lol:
@Born Never Asked how was it mate?

Wasnt all that bad mate, Moviprep was vile and hardly slept all night but had no other side effects of it other than Chills all night long. Got through the Colonscopy on gas and air and apart from a few bits when he was like turning the corners and stuff the pain wasnt as bad as I thought. Main thing is though they found nothing to be concerned about and are putting it down to IBS, strange really considering I have constant diaorrhea with black stools and even blood sometimes but cant argue with the results.

Wasnt all that bad mate, Moviprep was vile and hardly slept all night but had no other side effects of it other than Chills all night long. Got through the Colonscopy on gas and air and apart from a few bits when he was like turning the corners and stuff the pain wasnt as bad as I thought. Main thing is though they found nothing to be concerned about and are putting it down to IBS, strange really considering I have constant diaorrhea with black stools and even blood sometimes but cant argue with the results.
@becs, mentioned, she became shivery, after drinking Moviprep.

Good to hear, they found nothing untowards.
It's always a relief, to hear, all is ok.

Pleased nothing sinister was found :)

Have you done a food diary? Keep a note of everything you eat and drink and your symptoms and see if you can spot any patterns. If you notice you're ill after eating certain foods or drinks, stop eating them and see if things settle down.

Also look at fodmap foods as they're supposed to be the best ones for IBS. However some of them can be trigger foods so still keep a note of things until you are sure they are fine for you to eat.

It's bizarre at time. For example, spinach makes my symptoms flare up yet savoy cabbage is fine.

Pleased nothing sinister was found :)

Have you done a food diary? Keep a note of everything you eat and drink and your symptoms and see if you can spot any patterns. If you notice you're ill after eating certain foods or drinks, stop eating them and see if things settle down.

Also look at fodmap foods as they're supposed to be the best ones for IBS. However some of them can be trigger foods so still keep a note of things until you are sure they are fine for you to eat.

It's bizarre at time. For example, spinach makes my symptoms flare up yet savoy cabbage is fine.

Thanks, such a relief.

I tend to be a lot worse at a weekend which is when I usually do a lot of drinking and eat a lot of unhealthy food, pretty certain I have some sort of intolerance to alcohol as I am always bad the next day on the toilet after drinking and it often causes black stools or blood so going to cut rite down on it. During the week I just eat normally and tend to just be constipated most the week so it's a weird one. I will have a look at fodmap aswell for other possible triggers.

I had moviprep where you have to drink a litre, then wait a bit, then drink the second litre. I drank the first one and nothing at all happened. I was half way through the second litre when I had to run to the loo and it felt like Satan himself was launching out of my rear end.
best bit was afterwards when you have to "fill up" again and don't poo for a couple of days....

Thanks, such a relief.

I tend to be a lot worse at a weekend which is when I usually do a lot of drinking and eat a lot of unhealthy food, pretty certain I have some sort of intolerance to alcohol as I am always bad the next day on the toilet after drinking and it often causes black stools or blood so going to cut rite down on it. During the week I just eat normally and tend to just be constipated most the week so it's a weird one. I will have a look at fodmap aswell for other possible triggers.

Alcohol and fatty foods are not good like! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :oops:
best bit was afterwards when you have to "fill up" again and don't poo for a couple of days....

And you feel about three stone lighter till you fill back up again :lol:

Glad to hear it man. Moviprep is a f***ing trip innit. I had a 10mm polyp lopped off during my first one, worried sick but it wasn’t cancerous... yet. Back for another jacksy journey in three years.

I’m also having Barron Banding next month. Anyone ever had that?

Thanks, such a relief.

It’s not red wine you’re supping is it?

Back