Colonoscopy

Agreed about the Moviprep, took just under 6 hours to take effect last time.

The sedation is about the 1-2 pints feeling at worst.
I''ve only had Picolax, and that took a while to work.
In fact, I'd sat so long on the pot, I was getting impatient, for the thing to work, then just as I was about to pull my hogga's up to go to bed, the laxative, finally did it's job. 👍😊

They have sent me moviprep, is it really that bad? Have to take it 5pm tommrrow , just dont fancy the after effects of the sedative so would prefer not to have it, however if it's as bad as people make out then guess I have no choice.

Moviprep is basically salt water mixed with an awful lemony taste. Try and drink it while pinching your nose - although the texture of it is still quite gloopy when you’re drinking it. Make sure nobody else needs the bathroom as you will be struggling to spend more than 5-10 mins away from it at a time once it kicks in.

Don’t forget to drink water as well. It works by basically forcing water through your bowels so there’s a chance of becoming dehydrated. It does slow down after a few hours though. Also stock up on vaseline.....

I can't eat sherbet now because it reminds me of picolax. The smell also brings back horrible memories so I put toothpaste on a brush ready to clean my teeth and tongue after I've downed it. I down it while holding my breath as well.

Got one on Wedneaday , dont fancy the sedative at all, has anyone done it without one and is it needed?
I had one last year and wasn’t allowed sedation as I went on my own even though I didn’t drive and went on the bus. It was uncomfortable like. Like being pumped full of air and bloating right up. But apart from that not too bad.

Last edited:
Big danger of tmi here, but had this done this afternoon purely as a precautionary screening, and I can confirm it is a bit freaky watching them snip out a polyp on the screen in front of you :eek:

I have to wait a week to see if it's anything they need to follow up on, but it only goes to show that these things are worth doing, however hideous you think it's going to be.

I like watching it on the TV like , and the nibbling feeling when they take samples etc. It’s a bit like going to the dentist , never fun but soon forgotten - fingers crossed polyp is nowt to worry about

I like watching it on the TV like , and the nibbling feeling when they take samples etc. It’s a bit like going to the dentist , never fun but soon forgotten - fingers crossed polyp is nowt to worry about

I almost fell asleep during mine. :lol:

They said there was nothing found and because I’d been so stressed and worried I hadn’t slept for about a week beforehand so hearing that news meant this huge weight being lifted and that was it.

I actually did fall asleep in the recovery room afterwards though.

Back