Cologne to Dusseldorf

Been to Düsseldorf with the lads and it's class.

Trying to work out whether to go to Hamburg or Cologne/ Frankfurt (not with the lads) if anyone would like to offer any advice :)

Would imagine it's a bit pricey

I went in October. We got a 500ml bottle of Koelsch from the local kiosk shops (They even have a bottle opener) for around €1.60. We then sat and drank them around the square just next to the city hall next to a band playing, and then walked along the Rhine near Grosse Saint Martin church.

It's a bit pricier in pubs, but not much more. Cologne is a nice city, no idea what the nightlife is like but it's well connected, the train station is massive.

Trying to work out whether to go to Hamburg or Cologne/ Frankfurt (not with the lads) if anyone would like to offer any advice :)

Hamburg is more a place I would go with the lads, especially around the Reeperbahn/Grosse Freiheit area.

Cologne is a place I'd recommend with the missus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Booking a flight to Cologne . Is Cologne worth a night out or shall I head straight to Dusseldorf .
Looks like it's not too far.
Btw going to Dusseldorf for a stag do so any recommendations welcome.

Düsseldorf is the most drunken city I’ve been to ( although I was there for carnival ). From morning to night there’s people on the piss. Bolkerstrasse is one long street which is all bars, there’s rock bars, Hawaiian bars, shisha bars, titty bars you name it. It’s mental.
If you want a bit more cultured places then head down to the river for nice bars / restaurants. The foods amazing also.

Dusseldorf is much better. Cologne is nice but not worth it if you are only there a couple of days.

Dusseldorf is the home of German stag parties.

Both are great cities , it depends who you with and what you want to do really.

Cologne is a prettier city, beautiful cathedral, lovely old town and loads of bars near the river.

Ideal if you're with your wife/girlfriend. The beer is kolsch, served in very small glasses 0.2 litre because it has a very short life span when exposed to the air. Amateur mistake to drink 0.5 or 1 litre of kolsch as it will go flat very quickly.

Dusseldorf is lively for drinking with your mates, the old town (Ald stadt) is very big. Loads of bars there and easy to get to the river area when the carnival is on.

Alt bier is a dark beer so it depends upon your preference.

Your other option is to visit Cologne by day and Dusseldorf by night.

Btw, the football fans of those teams hate each other. So it's not a good idea to tell the Koln fans you went to a Fortuna game or vice versa.

Enjoy.

If your staying in Cologne head to the Alter Markt or Friesenplatz areas. The latter is more night time drinking and has a few nightclubs whereas the former is more a day/evening drinking area. Dusseldorf is far superior for nightlife though and there's a few different areas within walking distance of each other.

Hamburg is seedy as fuck around the Reeperbahn as you'd expect. Not a bad city otherwise but its not a place I'd hurry back to with a lass or group of mates. Never been to Frankfurt but according to some of the lads who stayed there when we played Hoffenheim, its a canny place. There's also a lot of restoration work going on in Frankfurt Altstadt if your into that sort of thing. Basically they're restoring the building facades to what they were pre-war. Cologne is canny but not a patch on Dusseldorf for nightlife. If I was going with a lass I'd go to Cologne or Frankfurt.

Last edited:
Btw, the football fans of those teams hate each other. So it's not a good idea to tell the Koln fans you went to a Fortuna game or vice versa.

Aye, a barmaid in the Konig City Bar refused to serve me a bottle once. Also got asked the following off a local in the same bar - "What's the difference between pussy and Kolsch?". "Pussy only tastes of piss once!". Who says the Germans don't have a sense of humour!

Aye, a barmaid in the Konig City Bar refused to serve me a bottle once. Also got asked the following off a local in the same bar - "What's the difference between pussy and Kolsch?". "Pussy only tastes of piss once!". Who says the Germans don't have a sense of humour!

The Germans are very like the English in many ways actually. Not least are the top 3 likes of beer, women and football.

I was told last night that most major cities in Germany have dodgy red light areas ?

Dusseldorf has 'the wall'
Sort of like celebrity squares but with brass.

The Germans are very like the English in many ways actually. Not least are the top 3 likes of beer, women and football.

Spot on. Really friendly people, love their beer, football and women with the added bonus of curry wurst and all the lasses are easy on the eye.

Back