Collateral ligament

Wild Card

Winger
Didn't want to start a new thread but couldn't see one to tag onto.

Has anyone damaged their collateral ligament before?

I think I hurt mine just before Christmas. Was a nothing tackle at football, the type you make about ten a game.

Made me limp straight away but not bad.

It's been about 4 to 5 weeks now since it happened and it's no better. The strange thing is there is no pain then I will randomly step down a step or put too much weight on it and it's like being stabbed in the knee. Totally debilitating for about 30 seconds then nothing again until the next time it happens which could be 48 hours away.

It's just no getting better at all.

Anyone have any experience of this?

are you quite tall or slim built. Had a lot of trouble with mine (MCL) when i was a bit younger. knee would hyper extend sideways and id lose stabilty in it for a few weeks.It was painful and recurred for ages ( like years and years) until i had an ip to rebuild cruciates. no bother since. Physios gave me load of "knee clenches" to do but they didnt make much difference. in the end its just down the leverage and me being like bambi on ice

Last edited:
I’ve got to admit, I’ve never even heard of one.

Neither had I until I looked at pictures of the knee.

I'm not certain either thats what it is but I wiggled and prodded a few ligaments based on the picture and it was that side ligament that absolutely knacked.

Probs going to have to book in at the doctor's but it's a pain in the arse and they generally don't have a shit about sports injuries.

I ruptured my MCL ligament about 6 years ago and went to the walk in centre, assuming it was like a&e. Got told it was probably ruptured and sent away, no crutches, supports or nothing.

Went to a physio a month later as my knee kept on collapsing and he was shocked. Wrote them a scathing letter about the lack of investigation and if it re-attaches in the wrong place that was on them. Had an MRI at the spire within a week.

Last edited:

Back