Coldest match

A reserve match Sunderland vs Newcastle at Hetton, Newcastle player got injured (kadar? In a freak challenge with Henderson) injured for 20 minutes. Mates hands went blue so I had to go e him a glove to swap hands, player doing star jumps and sprints at throw in and corners, sat in the car for 40 minutes with the heating still no feeling. Went to the pub and met another mate who said "fuck me you 2 look in shock"

good shout,took me hours to warm up when I got home.

non safc one - Morpeth v South Shields re-match where shields cut power supply as they were getting beat 3 or 4-1 ( 8 mins to go and down and arca been sent off ) in original game. Me lungs froze.

Burnley away in the cup (about 1976), took about 4 goes to get the game on, I have never seen snow piled up that high at the side of the road. We eventually got there and I think played a draw and got beaten at our place. Coldest I have ever been.
Remember that , 4 afternoons off school, Charlie driving Select coaches from Horden, absolutely baltic always snowing!

Roker park in mid 80s might’ve been 84/85 season about Xmas time , was i. The Roker end and it was fecking Baltic , think it was forest we were playing, was a cold winter and we lost 2-0
As for coldest non safc match I’d say my local highland league side , wick academy , the ground is next to a cemetery , so it is always cold , any how was there a few years back - day after black eye Friday and there was a snowstorm , everyone piled in a half built stand- the half bottles were being passed around that day I can tell you it was terrible

Last edited:
Unable to name the opposition but I have been to a few at Roker Park when my feet have been dropping off.
Saturday was bad but I don't think it was as bad as Barnsley midweek 2 or 3 years ago.

Back