Coffee machines...

Just keep your eye out in Lidl or online for their Espresso Silvercrest machine. It won't be as good as the expensive bean to cup machines no doubt (you need to use ground coffee) but I love mine.

It was £60 and you don't need to buy expensive pods that you can't recycle.

My old Delonghi (RIP) was £69 a few years ago IIRC and you can still get similar basic ones for the same price (a direct replacement of my old one would be around £100). As with yours it pissed all over pod machines. I considered just getting another similar one but off the back of a good Cheltenham decided to treat myself to a bean to cup as I’d always said I’d consider it when my old one died.

Wessington Sainsburies has a fair range of beans if you need emergency beans

the big tesco has excellent sumatran beans in their extra special range..its really nice!

pumphreys is canny if you are in newcastle as you can chat and smell the different roasts before you buy

and hasbean do a great Espresso started pack

Is it good then?

Hasn't arrived yet. It's a fairly basic delonghi as i don't drink latte's, Cappuccino etc i just want a good strong coffee i can add a splash of milk to.

Hasn't arrived yet. It's a fairly basic delonghi as i don't drink latte's, Cappuccino etc i just want a good strong coffee i can add a splash of milk to.

Edit: Amazon have cancelled my order, Out of Stock. Back to looking for a bargain again.

Last edited:

Edit: Amazon have cancelled my order, Out of Stock. Back to looking for a bargain again.

How much you wanting to spend mate?

Some decent reductions kicking around on Meilittas atm!

Wish I went with another tbh, especially with the ability to add a spoonful of beans to try out without emptying the main bean holder, very handy feature!

How much you wanting to spend mate?

Some decent reductions kicking around on Meilittas atm!

Wish I went with another tbh, especially with the ability to add a spoonful of beans to try out without emptying the main bean holder, very handy feature!

They any good? I've been looking purely at Delonghi.

Budget is £250-£300. No interest in anything with a separate milk compartment and the option of having an alternative bean to what is in the main hopper is very appealing as I do like to vary the beans I use.

This is the one I'm looking at.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-M...s=bean+to+cup&qid=1553082765&s=kitchen&sr=1-3

Last edited:

Budget is £250-£300. No interest in anything with a separate milk compartment and the option of having an alternative bean to what is in the main hopper is very appealing as I do like to vary the beans I use.

This is the one I'm looking at.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-M...s=bean+to+cup&qid=1553082765&s=kitchen&sr=1-3

does the job..manual panarello if you want to froth milk

you just need a jug..about 600ml is a good size..plenty of room, for 2 lattes about a 900ml jug (depending on size of cups, mine are large costa ones)

may take a few grinds to find strength you are happy with.

does the job..manual panarello if you want to froth milk

you just need a jug..about 600ml is a good size..plenty of room, for 2 lattes about a 900ml jug (depending on size of cups, mine are large costa ones)

may take a few grinds to find strength you are happy with.

Don't like milky coffees and not used the frother once on my old machine in 5 or so years.

I’ve mentioned before I have a grinder, so a bean to cup isn’t essential. Going to Currys tonight for a browse. I might even change my mind and just get a plain old espresso machine and keep grinding separately. After having my initial spur of the moment purchase knocked back by Amazon I’m quite undecided now…..

IMO the espresso was better from the Melitta. The extra chute for a spoonful of additional beans as well was class.

I don't drink anything with milk so not sure on the latte's and shite like that, but others have commented the milk was hotter and a better drink from the Melitta compared to my. Delonghi.

The thing which swings it for me is the extra compartment, but then you are going into the 600-700+ territory.

Bargain here! I had this exact machine as a loan machine whilst mine was being repaired..amazing!

Melitta Caffeo Varianza CSP F570-102, Kaffeevollautomat 243357004 wa | eBay

1 year warranty with them as well.

IMO the espresso was better from the Melitta. The extra chute for a spoonful of additional beans as well was class.

I don't drink anything with milk so not sure on the latte's and shite like that, but others have commented the milk was hotter and a better drink from the Melitta compared to my. Delonghi.

The thing which swings it for me is the extra compartment, but then you are going into the 600-700+ territory.

Bargain here! I had this exact machine as a loan machine whilst mine was being repaired..amazing!

Melitta Caffeo Varianza CSP F570-102, Kaffeevollautomat 243357004 wa | eBay

1 year warranty with them as well.

Hmmmm……. The missus has asked if I’m getting one that can do Latte’s, so may end up with one with a milk compartment after all.

Getting a bit pricey there though. I’ve seen a few Delonghi refurbs on Ebay (direct from Delonghi) and there’s a couple that look cracking value so may get one of those.

Hmmmm……. The missus has asked if I’m getting one that can do Latte’s, so may end up with one with a milk compartment after all.

Getting a bit pricey there though. I’ve seen a few Delonghi refurbs on Ebay (direct from Delonghi) and there’s a couple that look cracking value so may get one of those.
Milk compartment isn't needed - its a faff on if you don't use it a lot, as you end up with a container filled with milk that takes up fridge space and goes off quickly.
If you're making loads of milky drinks, that's grand. Otherwise just get a steam wand and a stainless steel jug. That's what they do in the coffee shops!

The main issue with the milk is the drink is never hot enough according to those who drink it. Barely warm is what people usually say. So watch out for that.

I have this one currently: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Bean-Cup...=UTF8&qid=1553094851&sr=1-3&keywords=delonghi

Espresso is lovely (Melitta was better I think..slightly) but any milky drinks are barely warm.

Milk compartment isn't needed - its a faff on if you don't use it a lot, as you end up with a container filled with milk that takes up fridge space and goes off quickly.
If you're making loads of milky drinks, that's grand. Otherwise just get a steam wand and a stainless steel jug. That's what they do in the coffee shops!

^^ this! Then you have more control over the milk temp as well.

Last edited:
The main issue with the milk is the drink is never hot enough according to those who drink it. Barely warm is what people usually say. So watch out for that.

I have this one currently: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Bean-Cup...=UTF8&qid=1553094851&sr=1-3&keywords=delonghi

Espresso is lovely (Melitta was better I think..slightly) but any milky drinks are barely warm.

^^ this! Then you have more control over the milk temp as well.
My last DeLonghi had a milk jug - yes, it wasn't as hot as you'd like, certainly not 70C. Also, the froth was crap.

The steam wand on my new Delonghi is decent - nowhere near professional pressure, but its enough to get a decent foam going, and I get the temp to the right point before the milk starts burning (which makes it bitter)

My last DeLonghi had a milk jug - yes, it wasn't as hot as you'd like, certainly not 70C. Also, the froth was crap.

The steam wand on my new Delonghi is decent - nowhere near professional pressure, but its enough to get a decent foam going, and I get the temp to the right point before the milk starts burning (which makes it bitter)

This is why you should just enjoy a nice espresso. No messing around! :lol:

I’ve got a nespresso aeroccino which heats milk, froths milk and can also make cold frothy milk. It makes enough for a decent sized mug and the froth is great, and the milk is too hot to drink straight away, so decently hot. You can pick one up for around £50 and it takes up hardly any counter space. That might be a solution?

Back