CofE May Buy Wonga

Looks like we’ve come full circle.

“And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.”

Publicity stunt .They more need spend this imaginary money on their churches which are dropping to bits round their ears .

Publicity stunt .They more need spend this imaginary money on their churches which are dropping to bits round their ears .

very tricky situation both morally and politically.

would you be right to be angry, when a lot of hard work is done to raise money for repairs of steeples, roofs and general upkeep. very often that money is raised though the parishioners of the dwindling congregation

on the other hand buying out Wonga (we don't know what they intend to do. write off all the debt owed to them. write off interest charged) may be done for charitable reasons.

Surely though the church has to do something to help its own. These are the people that are keeping the institution alive.

yet on the other hand buying Wonga may be a very "Christian" thing to do or is it a very political thing to do, which the church should not get involved.

would a parish church step in and pay off the debts of a parishioner or anybody else within the parish boundaries

if they do step in, should that indicate that these types of business should be banned (I cant help but think they should. rates are immoral)

very tricky situation both morally and politically.

would you be right to be angry, when a lot of hard work is done to raise money for repairs of steeples, roofs and general upkeep. very often that money is raised though the parishioners of the dwindling congregation

on the other hand buying out Wonga (we don't know what they intend to do. write off all the debt owed to them. write off interest charged) may be done for charitable reasons.

Surely though the church has to do something to help its own. These are the people that are keeping the institution alive.

yet on the other hand buying Wonga may be a very "Christian" thing to do or is it a very political thing to do, which the church should not get involved.

would a parish church step in and pay off the debts of a parishioner or anybody else within the parish boundaries

if they do step in, should that indicate that these types of business should be banned (I cant help but think they should. rates are immoral)

Rarely stick up for religions when it comes to money as they all seem to do a lot of talk about helping the poor while squirreling away billions and billions in financial products.

However, it does appear that this purchase would be designed to protect the existing borrowers from having their Wonga debts sold at a discount to another bunch of sharks out to exploit poor people with higher rates of interest and penalty clauses.

Of course it is possible they are just playing the media and the idea will slowly disappear from the front pages and their money continue to be invested in the stock market rather than helping the poor.

Rarely stick up for religions when it comes to money as they all seem to do a lot of talk about helping the poor while squirreling away billions and billions in financial products.

However, it does appear that this purchase would be designed to protect the existing borrowers from having their Wonga debts sold at a discount to another bunch of sharks out to exploit poor people with higher rates of interest and penalty clauses.

Of course it is possible they are just playing the media and the idea will slowly disappear from the front pages and their money continue to be invested in the stock market rather than helping the poor.

Due to the CoE place in our society, the purposes for which if it is bought should be explained to the people.

It may be they can buy it but I wonder about the liabilities of Wonga. It appears Wonga pulled the plug, because of the high cost of complaints (I think it was mentioned £550 for every complaint to the ombudsman (or who-ever)

If millions is to be spent on that, is there not an argument that the church should support individual churches in upkeep costs. If he wont do that, he should then have to explain why. I suspect he wont explain.

Back