Coconut Oil (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched a thing on BBC (on that Gloria Hunniford thing on in the morning, so aimed at 80 year old Daily Mail readers of course), that blows a big hole in the Coconut Oil is healthy thing.

Apparently its 92% saturated fat, (twice that of lard) and does have all the mythical benefits like detoxifying your liver bullshit.

I know a few on here liked it (Cat?).

saturated fat isn't a bad thing. Of those in coconut oil, they're high in MCT's which is a good thing.

The only thing I really look out for in oil are their smoking points tbh, and the only time I use coconut oil is for thai currys to add to the flavour!

I'd hoped everyone would have clicked on to these detoxing liver sales bullshit by now.

saturated fat isn't a bad thing. Of those in coconut oil, they're high in MCT's which is a good thing.

The only thing I really look out for in oil are their smoking points tbh, and the only time I use coconut oil is for thai currys to add to the flavour!

I'd hoped everyone would have clicked on to these detoxing liver sales bullshit by now.
Is this not a bit simplistic a statement there Ross mate?

Is this not a bit simplistic a statement there Ross mate?
you can't go chaging your question after I've answered it. Of course it's simplistic, but there has been a decades old myth that demonised sat fat, when in reality there has been no proof to it back up.

Aye? My school was still teaching that it was canny bad for you in the 90's ffs.

Damn you Houghton Kepier!!! :evil::evil::evil:

did they tell you not to eat eggs too mate?

did they tell you not to eat eggs too mate?
No.

you can't go chaging your question after I've answered it. Of course it's simplistic, but there has been a decades old myth that demonised sat fat, when in reality there has been no proof to it back up.
Cholesteral and artery clogging and all that carry on isn't linked to saturated fat intake? Genuinely didn't realise that that was now thought of as bollocks.

Last edited:
Gerrin. Might just have a block of lard for my tea then.
theres an easier read on the nhs site that talks about the same doctors findings

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/10October/Pages/Saturated-fat-link-with-heart-disease-questioned.aspx

which includes:

Dr Malhotra's article, which has been made available on an open access basis and is free to read, says that saturated fat – found in meat and dairy products such as butter and cheese – has been unfairly "demonised" for the last 40 years.

This was as a result of a very influential study from the 1970s, which found a link between the incidence of coronary heart disease and total cholesterol levels.

Dr Malhotra disputes the idea that this proves a direct cause and effect between cholesterol levels and heart disease: "correlation is not causation", he writes.

The article points out that saturated fat is believed to raise levels of low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (so-called "bad" cholesterol), which in turn raises cardiovascular risk.

Yet only one type of LDL cholesterol seems to be associated with saturated fat intake, the article says. This type of cholesterol is called large buoyant (type A) LDL particles.

The second type of LDL cholesterol – the small, dense (type B) particles associated with carbohydrate intake – is linked to cardiovascular disease.

Recent studies have found no significant association between saturated fat intake and cardiovascular risk, writes Dr Malhotra. Instead, saturated fat has been found to be protective of the heart.

Just watched a thing on BBC (on that Gloria Hunniford thing on in the morning, so aimed at 80 year old Daily Mail readers of course), that blows a big hole in the Coconut Oil is healthy thing.

Apparently its 92% saturated fat, (twice that of lard) and does have all the mythical benefits like detoxifying your liver bullshit.

I know a few on here liked it (Cat?).

Canny obvious it's saturated fat just by looking at it like.

Cholesteral and artery clogging and all that carry on isn't linked to saturated fat intake? Genuinely didn't realise that that was now thought of as bollocks.

There's new evidence/line of thinking that the cholesterol in eggs does not raise cholesterol in the body. As for saturated fat, depends what day of the week it is.

Last edited:
There's new evidence/line of thinking that the cholesterol in eggs does not raise cholesterol in the body. As for saturated fat, depends what day of the week it is.
I eat eggs like they are going out of fashion like. The king of foods imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back