Cock up of the Year

Believe it happened, sort of, in Sunderland at the end of WWII when a navy ship on the Wear fired its guns in celebration and destroyed a couple of houses killing their occupants. At least no one hurt in this.

Didn't a sidewinder get loosed off accidentally from a Harrier down in the Falklands many moons ago, took out a fire truck or summit?
You might be thinking of the Phantom that shot down a Jaguar in Germany in the 70s or 80s. Pilot didn't realise he had live weapons fitted, locked on and pulled the trigger. Luckily he managed to get the Jag pilot on the radio to get him to eject.

HMS Argyll launched a torpedo albeit an inert one onto Devonport Dockyard a few years ago it might not have been explosive but would have chafed a bit.

You might be thinking of the Phantom that shot down a Jaguar in Germany in the 70s or 80s. Pilot didn't realise he had live weapons fitted, locked on and pulled the trigger. Luckily he managed to get the Jag pilot on the radio to get him to eject.
Nope, definitely Falklands, this is all I can find online

"Operating conditions were very difficult and in one unfortunate incident a working party of Royal Engineers from 11 Field Squadron and Welsh Guards were injured whilst waiting to cross the runway, some severely, when a Sidewinder missile was accidentally fired from a Harrier."

Nope, definitely Falklands, this is all I can find online

"Operating conditions were very difficult and in one unfortunate incident a working party of Royal Engineers from 11 Field Squadron and Welsh Guards were injured whilst waiting to cross the runway, some severely, when a Sidewinder missile was accidentally fired from a Harrier."

Biggest cock up I recall was in the Falkland war.
One day the main U.K. news channels showed clips of the landing crafts moving troops round to the other side of the island.
Next day the news reports were all about one of them being hit and lots of casualties.

I recall wondering at the time why on Earth they were showing it to the whole world and his wife when it was still an ongoing operation.

Back