Coach trip songs from your youth

Dave Herbal

Striker
I guess with the advent of phones, these will have died out, but in the 70s no school or cubs trip was complete without a sing song.
The ones I can remember were:
10 sticks of dynamite (10 green bottles)
Charlie had a pigeon (considered exciting cos it implied the word “shite”)
There was an old woman in 92 (considered exciting cos it contained the word “fart”, which was almost a swear word back then) However, it wasn’t until I watched They Shall Not Grow Old last year that I realised that it was actually a child friendly version of Mademoiselle from Armentieres.
There was also a Scouts one called Oh You’ll never get to heaven, but the first verse was about a “nigger going down in a cellar to pray”, so that probably went the journey a while ago:lol:

What others can you remember?

Dipton Scouts had an old van that we all called ‘Ironsides’. It was probably dangerous but we all sat on old carpets in the back with no windows or ventilation except for the rusted bits that had dropped off.

We all regularly piled in the back and sang a song about ‘Ironside’s Moving’ to the tune of ‘London’s Burning’ (not the Clash song).

One of the scoutmasters was called Frank.

He invariably drove.

So there was a line that rhymed with ‘Frank’ that caused him to get out and berate us because some old ladies had been shocked when he’d stopped at the pedestrian crossing outside the Junior School.

There was also a Scouts one called Oh You’ll never get to heaven, but the first verse was about a “nigger going down in a cellar to pray”, so that probably went the journey a while ago:lol:

What others can you remember?
Oh you'll never get to heaven in a jumbo jet, cos the Lord ain't built no runways yet.

Not that we sang it on our bus, but my sisters used to sing it so perhaps they did on their school buses.

Charlie had a pigeon
Oh the drivers got a lovely pair of legs
Sang repeatedly on meggy Doran’s bus trips from south hylton to blackpool,good times.

‘‘Twas on the isle of Capri
That I found her
Naked and tied to a tree

That I left her
Still naked , still tied to a tree”

And an interactive one....

“Milk milk
( touch each nipple)

Lemonade ( rub groin vigorously

Round the corner - chocolates made”

( spin round , drop kegs and moon - a timely fart was considered excellent)

I know - well it was a long way from Alton Towers on a coach.

Last edited:
That I found her
Naked and tied to a tree

That I left her
Still naked , still tied to a tree”

And an interactive one....

“Milk milk
( touch each nipple)

Lemonade ( rub groin vigorously

Round the corner - chocolates made”

( spin round , drop kegs and moon - a timely fart was considered excellent)

I know - well it was a long way from Alton Towers on a coach.
Which rugby club were you playing for at the time?

Back