Clubs unable to get 22 players out on a Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

hello

Subs Bench
What's the best way for clubs to field 22 on a Saturday?

Plenty are struggling to do so even successful teams

Focus more on attracting youngsters to the club. Get into local schools where possible. Get them playing in junior teams batting and bowling. Get them into senior teams ASAP, batting and bowling, not just fielding 50 overs a week. Start games early on a Saturday and finish late afternoon. Loads of things that could be improved to make Saturday cricket more attractive.

each club weekly homebrews 20 odd litres of beer. that way each week they have 40 odd bottles of beer ready to drink.

free beers for anyone who turns out on the saturday/sunday [whichever they struggle with]

you'd have queues out the ground and down the road for players man. and watching it would be right laugh anarl :lol::lol:

not just players sorted, i've even got you spectators to gan with

each club weekly homebrews 20 odd litres of beer. that way each week they have 40 odd bottles of beer ready to drink.

free beers for anyone who turns out on the saturday/sunday [whichever they struggle with]

you'd have queues out the ground and down the road for players man. and watching it would be right laugh anarl :lol::lol:

not just players sorted, i've even got you spectators to gan with

Best answer 'if carlsberg did cricket clubs...'

Best answer 'if carlsberg did cricket clubs...'

it is realistic and would be great crack. i'd not mind turning out for a side but i've never played any standard really so i'm pretty poor. if playing cricket was just about the crack and not so serious i reckon alot more people would be interested in it. then from there some people get serious and some people don't.

it is realistic and would be great crack. i'd not mind turning out for a side but i've never played any standard really so i'm pretty poor. if playing cricket was just about the crack and not so serious i reckon alot more people would be interested in it. then from there some people get serious and some people don't.

There is a huge difference in the levels of seriousness from Saturday to Sunday. Add in mid week 3s and social cricket and there are plenty of friendly environments to play in

I played Saturday 2s two weeks ago where umps failed to show. Everyone agreed not to behave like bell ends and it was a cracking afternoon

There is a huge difference in the levels of seriousness from Saturday to Sunday. Add in mid week 3s and social cricket and there are plenty of friendly environments to play in

I played Saturday 2s two weeks ago where umps failed to show. Everyone agreed not to behave like bell ends and it was a cracking afternoon

Some body should post on the Durham cricket site about that .....

If a team is struggling to get 22 out on a Saturday, chances are the 2nd team will be of a poor standard. So take it on the chin and give the less effective players a go. Try to bat one good one with a poor one. Same with the bowling. You want a mix of enjoyment and competitiveness. People have to want to come back next week. Better have an average 22 than a good 15 or you're down to 1 team and in trouble. Having a few dads and lads also helps.

If a team is struggling to get 22 out on a Saturday, chances are the 2nd team will be of a poor standard. So take it on the chin and give the less effective players a go. Try to bat one good one with a poor one. Same with the bowling. You want a mix of enjoyment and competitiveness. People have to want to come back next week. Better have an average 22 than a good 15 or you're down to 1 team and in trouble. Having a few dads and lads also helps.
Numbers are the problem though. A lot of people just can't be arsed to play 45 or 50 overs . There's too many demands on our time these days

'mixing competitiveness' doesn't work that well either imo. Better players tend to get frustrated with shit ones

Fortunately in my club everyone accepts we're shit :lol:

Some clubs can still do it, we're playing Harrogate 4ths on Saturday :) Bet we still lose

Last edited by a moderator:
About 12 years ago clubs like Philadelphia, South Shields and Chester-Le-Street had a large number of U15 cricketers who could not get into the club second team.
Agreement between the various leagues allowed these young players to play at East Rainton, Simonside and Kimblesworth on a Saturday, allowing them to put out two teams on a Saturday.
There are still clubs with many junior cricketers, e.g Hetton Lyons and Chester-Le-Street.
Can this system be resurrected ?

About 12 years ago clubs like Philadelphia, South Shields and Chester-Le-Street had a large number of U15 cricketers who could not get into the club second team.
Agreement between the various leagues allowed these young players to play at East Rainton, Simonside and Kimblesworth on a Saturday, allowing them to put out two teams on a Saturday.
There are still clubs with many junior cricketers, e.g Hetton Lyons and Chester-Le-Street.

You can do this now.

Only thing is the average players might not enjoy 2 balls they call barely see fizzing past their chin then getting bowled week in week out. .

This should be the job of someone like the DCB IMO. I'm convinced that some local clubs/ second XIs could have been saved recently had loans been in place.

Longer term it's shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic til cricket gets some profile back though.

You can do this now.
At Belmont we had an arrangement with Durham City which worked well for a number of years. For lower league clubs it's getting across the fact that actually the games/pitches/facilities are of a fair standard and bigger clubs young players will benefit from playing meaningful, competitive cricket against adults.

This should be the job of someone like the DCB IMO. I'm convinced that some local clubs/ second XIs could have been saved recently had loans been in place.
Agreed. Arrangements should be in place with 'lesser' clubs in the immediate vicinity of top clubs to give their under 15s/18s a Saturday game. Otherwise they may stop playing altogether. It's the drop-out rate of lads who are aged 16-20 that needs to be addressed.

Longer term it's shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic til cricket gets some profile back though.

Last edited:
in which other sports do kids get chucked in at the deep end with hoary old blokes?

not always good for them imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back