RAWA Club Presentation

Ghandi Floss

Striker

I was invited to a club presentation over the stadium yesterday. Thought I'd just share a few things from it for anyone interested.

It was basically a presentation promoting togetherness throughout the club. Every member of club staff were there, as well as all the players, management, back room staff, and some members of the Red And White Army. Stewart Donald wasn't present.

The above video was shown first.
Then Charlie Methven spoke about the importance of every single person associated with Sunderland to feel part of it.
He spoke about how he wants to get away from the 21st century model of football where fans are punters, players are assets and agents are all controlling. He even mentioned current players (no names obviously) at the club are letting their agents get away with disrespecting the club/players/fans, and they should "sack them" if they truly want to be part of something here. He wants honesty, raw passion and a club that works for everyone.
Gotta be honest, I love Charlie's crack. He speaks from the heart, and you can see he truly loves being a part of the club/city. I've been in his company over a few pints before, and he speaks with the same passion whether in front of a few lads, a camera, or a room full of people. And he also is always wax lyrical about the fans/townsfolk.

Tony Davison was next. He flagged up how the club previously spent £1000 per month on plastic plants and how money was being wasted, but now everyone from a club perspective needs to make the club as profitable as possible and that includes the players sorting their own sponsorship (see Ethan Robson)
I've spoke to him a few times, and he just comes across as a genuine fan and nice bloke.

Then our very own Andrew Hird was asked to speak on behalf of the fans. He'd combed his hair and looked like he'd bought a new top for the occasion. In all fairness, he spoke really well and confidently.
He said how we’ve got a passionate fan base but one that has been hurt in recent years given back to back relegations and record lowest points in the premier league. The club and the city are entwined and when the club does well the city does well. The fans can contribute to the club by turning up for games, making a noise but also volunteering with stadium improvements and helping the community like foodbank collections.

Jack Ross was next, and he even commented he felt under pressure following on from Andrew. Although he's far more handsome and still looked smarter in his training kit, so need not have worried.
He spoke of the important role the first team players have in terms of getting results on the field but also contributing to the whole club.

George Honeyman kinda reiterated the same. I heard that he, Gooch, and Watmore really take an extra interest in all goings on at the club, and really lead by example. I obviously can't confirm how true this is, but I can certainly find it easy to believe.

Paul Reid (Academy Manager) flagged up the importance of the younger players getting an appreciation of the area and actually living it and not just being in a bubble. I’ve actually been in discussions with Paul Reid today and the academy are helping with the Foodbanks and want to assist in other initiatives to give the players a grounding

As always, make of that what you will. It certainly feels like we're getting our club back.

I was invited to a club presentation over the stadium yesterday. Thought I'd just share a few things from it for anyone interested.

It was basically a presentation promoting togetherness throughout the club. Every member of club staff were there, as well as all the players, management, back room staff, and some members of the Red And White Army. Stewart Donald wasn't present.

Then Charlie Methven spoke about the importance of every single person associated with Sunderland to feel part of it.
He spoke about how he wants to get away from the 21st century model of football where fans are punters, players are assets and agents are all controlling. He even mentioned current players (no names obviously) at the club are letting their agents get away with disrespecting the club/players/fans, and they should "sack them" if they truly want to be part of something here. He wants honesty, raw passion and a club that works for everyone.
Gotta be honest, I love Charlie's crack. He speaks from the heart, and you can see he truly loves being a part of the club/city. I've been in his company over a few pints before, and he speaks with the same passion whether in front of a few lads, a camera, or a room full of people. And he also is always wax lyrical about the fans/townsfolk.

Tony Davison was next. He flagged up how the club previously spent £1000 per month on plastic plants and how money was being wasted, but now everyone from a club perspective needs to make the club as profitable as possible and that includes the players sorting their own sponsorship (see Ethan Robson)
I've spoke to him a few times, and he just comes across as a genuine fan and nice bloke.

Then our very own Andrew Hird was asked to speak on behalf of the fans. He'd combed his hair and looked like he'd bought a new top for the occasion. In all fairness, he spoke really well and confidently.
He said how we’ve got a passionate fan base but one that has been hurt in recent years given back to back relegations and record lowest points in the premier league. The club and the city are entwined and when the club does well the city does well. The fans can contribute to the club by turning up for games, making a noise but also volunteering with stadium improvements and helping the community like foodbank collections.

Jack Ross was next, and he even commented he felt under pressure following on from Andrew. Although he's far more handsome and still looked smarter in his training kit, so need not have worried.
He spoke of the important role the first team players have in terms of getting results on the field but also contributing to the whole club.

George Honeyman kinda reiterated the same. I heard that he, Gooch, and Watmore really take an extra interest in all goings on at the club, and really lead by example. I obviously can't confirm how true this is, but I can certainly find it easy to believe.

Paul Reid (Academy Manager) flagged up the importance of the younger players getting an appreciation of the area and actually living it and not just being in a bubble. I’ve actually been in discussions with Paul Reid today and the academy are helping with the Foodbanks and want to assist in other initiatives to give the players a grounding

As always, make of that what you will. It certainly feels like we're getting our club back.
Cheers marra. I find it uplifting to hear things like this. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts & report the facts as they happened.

Good read. Thanks for posting!

Thanks for an uplifting summary of the meeting and thank you for your effort in representing us.

We are Sunderland, say we are Sunderland

The club are ruining that song a bit for me now. I never realised how long the intro to it was. I don't think it works for this sort of video or the run out music when it takes 2 minutes for the drop to finally hit.

Cheers for posting and excellent from Club and all concerned.
Nice to have Our Club back.

The club are ruining that song a bit for me now. I never realised how long the intro to it was. I don't think it works for this sort of video or the run out music when it takes 2 minutes for the drop to finally hit.
I was going to have a go at you for that but checked who posted and remembered the streamables so you're reprieved.

I actually agree with it appearing a bit too long on there. Not sure if its an extended version, but the drop seemed to take a while.
I strongly agree with having it as our run out music. Perhaps start it a bit sooner, and obviously sort the speakers out.

Sounds good, but why should the players be responsible for getting their own sponsorship? We want them to be footballers, not sales and marketing staff. "Sorry mates, I can't go out for the kick off yet, I've got to take this phone call from a potential sponsor!"

I just don't get this when one of the new owners complaints was that under the previous set up we had nobody employed to sell commercial sponsorship.

Sounds good, but why should the players be responsible for getting their own sponsorship? We want them to be footballers, not sales and marketing staff. "Sorry mates, I can't go out for the kick off yet, I've got to take this phone call from a potential sponsor!"

I just don't get this when one of the new owners complaints was that under the previous set up we had nobody employed to sell commercial sponsorship.
Without any clue of how this kind of thing works, I would hope it's so the players get off the xbox/golf course and go out and engage with the business community?

Thanks to @Ghandi Floss again for this, it's great to see and big steps being taken in the right direction

Not like you marra! ;):lol:

No work Friday means the weekend can begin.

Sorry mate, I probably didn't explain it properly. All the players are available for sponsor from local businesses, but Robson secured it off his own back. His Uncle's business, I think. They just used him as an example of extra effort.

Last edited:

Thanks mate. Appreciate the work you do.

Back