1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Clouds gathering on UK economy"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bagpuss, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Sweeper

Sweeper Striker

Net borrowing 2010 - £153.5 billion.

Net borrowing 2016/17 - £50 billion.

2. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Striker

I think they are more likely to stop recruitment because the tories are forcing people to work in these companies for free meaning they are getting free Labour dont you?

parm likes this.
  3. Sweeper

Sweeper Striker

You really do think it's a s simple as raising taxes on businesses don't you?

No, I don't. Apologies if that wasn't implicit.

4. Dilligaf60

Dilligaf60 Winger

Cancel brexit ! There's a surprise.

5. What happens when public sector net debt reaches 100%?

6. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Striker

Thats interesting, didnt George and Dave tell us that the deficit would be completely gone by 2015 and that the electorate should judge them on that? Now the current mob are not even saying they can get rid of it by 2020, they are saying now it will be "some time in the future"......Just remind me of the only party in modern times to deliver consistent budget surpluses (5 out of 10 years between 1997 and 2007 under Blair)

Given that it is a massive party of the problem it would seem like a good idea dont you think or are you a Brexit at all costs kinda guy? Will you still feel that way if you lose your job and your house or is it just while you are not feeling the pain?

7. Sweeper

Sweeper Striker

I'm confused - are you saying that the government should have been spending more, or spending less?

You now seem to be arguing for both.

8. Because there's no incentive at all for the company there :rolleyes:

9. scraff

scraff Winger

Not surprising you post such horseshit looking at your avatar

tiptoad likes this.
  10. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Striker

Errrrr can you please highlight where I mentioned raising taxes in that post, I specifically gave you policies that would increase disposable income without mentioning the taxes that should rightly be collected properly from big business?

11. monkeytassle

monkeytassle Striker

What are George and Dave doing now for a living?

12. Sweeper

Sweeper Striker

I can see the benefit for Aldi and Lidl, but I don't see where giving benefits in Aldi vouchers is going to help British Gas, Nando's or River Island.

Unless your plan is only to raise corporation tax on Aldi and Lidl, in which case I don't think you'll be raising enough cash.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  13. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Striker

Did they resign cause they missed those targets? Really? Nothing to do with realising they had just shafted the country by getting us to leave the EU then?

14. Sweeper

Sweeper Striker

Is the government going to top up wages to the minimum £10 an hour? Or are you expecting businesses to do that? If the latter, how will you replace the jobs previously provided by the businesses that are killed off/stifled by this policy?

They didn't "get us to leave the EU". They both tried to "get us" to do the opposite.

The people decided to leave the EU, for the long term benefit of the UK.

15. Dilligaf60

Dilligaf60 Winger

What pain ? I'm willing to take a chance on getting the millstone that is the EU from around my neck. I've seen no evidence that it's going to cost me my job or my home. Have you ? If so , tell me. This time last year we were being told to look forward to economic Armageddon if by some remote chance the referendum resulted in a leave vote. I'm still waiting.

gipetto, Repswick and Sweeper like this.
  16. Sweeper

Sweeper Striker

@Bagpuss

17. :lol:

Calm down Anal Sugar.

It requires more thinking through than a 2 second off the top of your head comment on a forum but the problem is the people at the top aren't thinking, they are rooted in outdated methodologies. To think it's the 21st century and we have people in Britain visiting food banks, its atrocious really.

Reducing it to economic cost is playing directly into the hands of a government who could not give a fuck about you, and those who stand to profit from that.

parm likes this.
  18. Pretty big assumption there:lol::lol::lol:

Dilligaf60 likes this.
  19. Sweeper

Sweeper Striker

Fair enough, if that was an "off the top of the head" moment.

However this kind of thing is nearly indicative of the problem with a Labours currently economic policies. The figures don't balance. They don't even threaten to balance.

"Free money for everyone!"

"Great, who's paying for it?!"

"Erm, other people - trust us we'll work it out"

20. Dilligaf60

Dilligaf60 Winger

Wouldn't a strong pound make our exports more expensive and less competitive? Or am I indeed thicker than I thought I was.