Clothing labels when you were at school

Paradoxically it was all the kids from the coincil estates who had all the name brand gear. Us “posh uns” whose parents had mortgages instead of rent seemed to have to plead, beg, borrow or steal to get anything that wasn’t ‘off brand’.

We had a school uniform fairly tightly enforced so footwear and PE kit was the only real outlet for self expression.

Dr Martens
Adidas (puma anarl)
Kickers
Pods

In the summer we would wear Fred Perry or Simon shirts with our ties!

Anyone remember Simon shirts? Short and long sleeve polo style shirts in jersey cotton, usually with two fake flapped pockets with buttons on the chest. I can’t even remember if Simon was an actual brand or just a style. Problies a brand originally that was later ripped off by other makers

Last edited:
School ties worn as short as possible by the radgees. So they didn't get grabbed and headbutted by rival radgees.

Football manager bench coats.
Ski jackets, Nevica and Campri.

Weird I know but I used to cut off the designer label on my claes or iron off printed names. I liked the clothes but thought people who wore them just for the labels looked like pricks.

There was a nice BS. Shop on Spring Street in Manhattan, did you ever go? There were some class BS bargains to be had when they were closing down. I don’t think they have a US presence any more.
Yeah I have been to the shop in NYC. Think it closed down now though. Fortunately the Neiman Marcus near me in Short Hills Mall has a decent range of BS stuff and there is always tinterweb

Pepe Jeans - didn’t they have a dog key ring attached?

Aye. I can still hear my Mam saying "you're paying all that money for a stupid plastic keyring! You're getting Geordie jeans and you can fasten your own keyring on them" :oops::lol:

Hi-Tec basketball boots with three different coloured laces and worn with the tongue sticking up out the front of the shoe.

Paradoxically it was all the kids from the coincil estates who had all the name brand gear. Us “posh uns” whose parents had mortgages instead of rent seemed to have to plead, beg, borrow or steal to get anything that wasn’t ‘off brand’.

We had a school uniform fairly tightly enforced so footwear and PE kit was the only real outlet for self expression.

Dr Martens
Adidas (puma anarl)
Kickers
Pods

In the summer we would wear Fred Perry or Simon shirts with our ties!

Anyone remember Simon shirts? Short and long sleeve polo style shirts in jersey cotton, usually with two fake flapped pockets with buttons on the chest. I can’t even remember if Simon was an actual brand or just a style. Problies a brand originally that was later ripped off by other makers
Yeah I had Simon shirts.. Found an almost dead copy by firetrap not so long ago.
Fred perry
Karmen ghia cords
Tootal scarf.
Levi sta prest. Or 501
Square dance Ben sher an.

Back