Closing deceased bank account in Thailand help

As diggers posted - ring the bank if you can get the details and ask who deals with such matters and an email address.
You may well have to email your ID etc to them otherwise anyone could do it (btw I got a scanner if need your passport n stuff scanned so can email them)

Bank itself would be first step though I think

If ya do ring Thailand be aware it’s expensive. We had to change a flight we’d booked with NOK AIR after it was cancelled last year n rang them.
Mrs was on 10 mins n the bill was £40.

As diggers posted - ring the bank if you can get the details and ask who deals with such matters and an email address.
You may well have to email your ID etc to them otherwise anyone could do it (btw I got a scanner if need your passport n stuff scanned so can email them)

Bank itself would be first step though I think
It’s not so easy dealing with Thai banks mate esp the language barrier
If ya do ring Thailand be aware it’s expensive. We had to change a flight we’d booked with NOK AIR after it was cancelled last year n rang them.
Mrs was on 10 mins n the bill was £40.
Yeah I had a 700 quid bill when I originally went over to sort all this out

It’s not so easy dealing with Thai banks mate esp the language barrier

Yeah I had a 700 quid bill when I originally went over to sort all this out
Can you not just email the bank and use google translate to put your query into Thai also ? Getting the email address be first hurdle though

Which bank is it and where

I used to live in Thailand (2008 to 2011) and used to bank with KasikornBank. They were excellent to deal with and had online banking back then.

I’m not sure I bothered closing my account. I think I just transferred everything except a few quid to my UK account.

Can you go onto online banking, transfer the money out and forget about it?

See how far you get dealing with the bank directly.
You may need to get documents such as ID notarised.

If becoming stuck or don’t want the hassle there are companies who will help you for a fee.
I have a Thai court order i just need to double check I have everything I have already been through the court process to gain probate have passports will etc
Just leave it open?
It’s full of my inheritance :D
do they not have U.K. branch
Good idea i can ring Bangkok bank in London they may help I’m shot scored of flying out and not having something I need
I used to live in Thailand (2008 to 2011) and used to bank with KasikornBank. They were excellent to deal with and had online banking back then.

I’m not sure I bothered closing my account. I think I just transferred everything except a few quid to my UK account.

Can you go onto online banking, transfer the money out and forget about it?
Can’t access it don’t have passwords ect and that’s stealing

Last edited:
can't offer any advice on Thailand but I worked on a 'life events' information site for NSW where we provide info on how to deal with various life events and particularly deaths as it's often difficult for relatives etc who need to administer the estate of someone who has died, what services and accounts they had, wills and so on...

the UK has a similar service iirc (could be helpful in the future)

Use SKype to call Thailand, much cheaper. I call the UK from China using it and it so cheap, amazing.

I think you're going to have to get a Thai law firm involved. Is it literally to close an account in a relatives name? Be tricky without a lawyer I think.

Best of luck though

Use SKype to call Thailand, much cheaper. I call the UK from China using it and it so cheap, amazing.

I think you're going to have to get a Thai law firm involved. Is it literally to close an account in a relatives name? Be tricky without a lawyer I think.

Best of luck though
The lawyer can’t do it you have to go into the exact branch in person with the court order and death certificate by the law.I just want tot check i have everything before I go as every bank is different !! And don’t know if I need documents notorising they are very vague and I’m worried they move the goal posts when I arrive. One of the banks the bank book is missing but have all the account numbers on the will etc but apprently they are a Nighmare with the missing books they make you report it to police then come to branch with police report before they issue a new book and I’m only going to be there 4 days

Last edited:
The lawyer can’t do it you have to go into the exact branch in person with the court order and death certificate by the law.I just want tot check i have everything before I go as every bank is different !! And don’t know if I need documents notorising they are very vague and I’m worried they move the goal posts when I arrive. One of the banks the bank book is missing but have all the account numbers on the will etc but apprently they are a Nighmare with the missing books they make you report it to police then come to branch with police report before they issue a new book and I’m only going to be there 4 days
aye, wouldn't suprise me if they try to stall and make it difficult. It's better to have Thai's dealing with Thai's. we're just ATM's to them.

Could the British embassy in Thailand not help in any way.

We had a right clart-on trying to sort out things in Hong Kong when my B.i.L died. Even using solicitors and that Fraser and Fraser company, it took the best part of 4 years, and cost us thousands. HSBC and Citibank were pure awkward bastards to deal with.
Hope yours is sorted out a bit quicker.

Back