Closest you have been to death?

I don’t think I was anywhere near death but had whooping cough and pneumonia 2 years back. It was f***ing torture, having a coughing fit seemingly every 5 minutes.

Going on a tour of the old Wembley as a kid, walking aimlessly I nearly tripped and fell into the big team bath which obviously had no water in. Reckon that might have been it or some lasting damage anyway.

Not really near death, but adding to the choking stories I choked on some cheese off a pizza when I was a kid. Tried to pull it out me gob but it was proper stringy and just kept stretching. Big whack on the back off me mam sorted it out.

Recent Aortic Valve replacement and a repair to an ascending thoracic Aneurysm my heart was stopped and on a bypass for 4 hours I suppose its as near to death as Im likely to get without being dead. Overjoyed i just missed the recent fuck up with the National power grid too.

Liver cancer when I was a baby. That was probably the closest, although this came a close second...

Cholestasis in 2008 - basically all my bile ducts to my liver blocked causing bile which normally passes through your body and out, to build up in my body.
The chemical bilirubin in your blood which comes from bile etc is usually about 15 (I think micrograms maybe).
At the worst point for me it was 492. Over 500 is organ failure and death... so that was fun.

Got beaten up from a random attack on Xmas Eve 2003. It's had a devestating effect on my life and the main reason for my depression and anxiety. I won't post details of the attack but the nurse told me when I eventually came round that it's the worst injuries she's ever seen from someone beaten up and surviving. The lad who done it got 6 months and served 3 🙄

soft bastard

xx

Did a full 360 down the hill at Houghton cut on the a690 when I was 18. Was snowing and came of the crest of the bank to quick and tapped the brakes and completely lost control.

Car just pin balled against the barriers all the way to the bottom whilst narrowly missing a car on its way. Walked away with whiplash. Canny lucky looking back.

When travelling through Laos 20 years ago, spent a couple of days at a cheap hotel. I was on one of their plastic sun-loungers throughout the day, then around 4.00pm popped over to the pool bar with the missus for a couple of beers.

About 5 mins later a large gust of wind dislodged several large coconuts (inside their outer layer - exocarp) from the tree directly above our loungers. They smashed onto and through my lounger, right where head would have been. The whole place, mainly Laotians looked our way and were giving it 'oooooohhhh...lucky boy'

My funeral would have been class mind, as my mates would have had to make it coconut themed !! ;)
Bounty weren't they?
I don’t think I was anywhere near death but had whooping cough and pneumonia 2 years back. It was f***ing torture, having a coughing fit seemingly every 5 minutes.

Going on a tour of the old Wembley as a kid, walking aimlessly I nearly tripped and fell into the big team bath which obviously had no water in. Reckon that might have been it or some lasting damage anyway.
A hefty tiling job at least.

Last edited:
Be one of two.

Jumped off a cliff (locally known as the alphabet) into the docks when I was 11. Didn't realise myself until people told me how close I was to the wall upon landing.

Had a bus miss me by inches for not looking properly jogging over the road outside Passion in town. Beeped it's horn and everything. Absolutely terrified about 10 minutes after the initial shock and sacked five a side off just to sit in The Borough and drink for 3 hours to calm down.

3 of us were unpacking a large 1500kg electrical switchboard offshore. It was top heavy and packaged incorrectly, so when we removed the side panel of wood the panel toppled out onto my mate, pinning him against another container and killing him instantly. I had been standing where he was 10 seconds before. The other lad who was with us thought I was under it too- I had apparently leapt backwards out of the way and was stood behind lad no. 3, I can't really remember. I had awful sleepless nights for about a week after that, probably took me about 6 month to fully get over it

3 of us were unpacking a large 1500kg electrical switchboard offshore. It was top heavy and packaged incorrectly, so when we removed the side panel of wood the panel toppled out onto my mate, pinning him against another container and killing him instantly. I had been standing where he was 10 seconds before. The other lad who was with us thought I was under it too- I had apparently leapt backwards out of the way and was stood behind lad no. 3, I can't really remember. I had awful sleepless nights for about a week after that, probably took me about 6 month to fully get over it
Awful that mate.
Were folk punished?

Back