Closest you have been to death?

Not sure which was closest but:

1) Strangled with my own umbilical cord as I was born and turned blue.

2) Aged about 3, choked on a boiled sweet in the back of the car. My dad did a weird combo of tipping me upside down and doing the Heimlich.

3) Most recently and most mundanely. Crossing a pelican crossing at a 3 way junction near my house just after Christmas 2 and a bit years ago. I was cursing a driver who'd pulled over the crossing, meaning I had to go round the back of his car. Meanwhile, an idiot had right turned on a red light across the crossing and decided to floor it. I'd have been in front of his car if it hadn't been for the bloke who'd pulled across the crossing whereas, instead, I was able to take a swing and a miss at his back window with my reusable shopping bag of M&S food.

I’ve never had a proper near death experience. The closes I’ve ever come have been:

I was in a head on collision with a 32T lorry on a country road back in 2006. Luckily it was just after a really dodgy corner that you need to crawl around so I was only going about 25mph and he was going about 30. The impact of the collision made my sunroof pop open. I was ok, a cracked rib, badly sprained hip and some cuts and bruises. Ruined my favourite jacket as well!

When I was about 9 my dad had a tyre blow out in the fast lane of the motorway at 80mph. When he took the tyre in to be replaced the bloke in the garage looked at it and said “how did you survive that?”

I experienced some of the driving in India when I was there with work earlier this year. The other people I was with made me sit in the front passenger seat, AKA “The Danger Zone”. Other than a moped hitting the car’s wing mirror on the second last day there were no accidents near us though.

2) Aged about 3, choked on a boiled sweet in the back of the car. My dad did a weird combo of tipping me upside down and doing the Heimlich.

3) Most recently and most mundanely. Crossing a pelican crossing at a 3 way junction near my house just after Christmas 2 and a bit years ago. I was cursing a driver who'd pulled over the crossing, meaning I had to go round the back of his car. Meanwhile, an idiot had right turned on a red light across the crossing and decided to floor it. I'd have been in front of his car if it hadn't been for the bloke who'd pulled across the crossing whereas, instead, I was able to take a swing and a miss at his back window with my reusable shopping bag of M&S food.

I did the same on my 9th birthday in my granda's front room. Him and my aunty did the upside down heimlich bash my back move

What a way to wangle in a “Look at me, I do my food shopping at M&S AND have a reusable shopping bag” reference. Pathetic!

Crushed by a fork lift truck, driver had jumped off it continued on its way at a slow speed. I had my back to it, and felt the load it was carrying push into my back. Things were getting serious I yelled just before things were going black, the driver stopped the truck at the last moment. Suffered spinal injuries and crushed knees, life changing.
My ex wife's uncle was working in a warehouse and one of the lads got crushed against the wall by a forklift. He said his body literally went pop and bits blew everywhere, he had to have counselling for 3 years but has never came to terms with it, this was over 20 years ago. The bloke who did it couldnt live with the trauma and killed himself. Tragic all round.

Headache from hell dec 2017. Dr’s thought it was migraine. Ended up in A&E having a CT scan and then getting transferred to the John Radcliffe Oxford by ambulance on Xmas eve where I was diagnosed with a massive brain aneurysm which thankfully hadn’t ruptured. Spent Xmas and new year in there waiting for an operation which they didn’t do till the new year. Had 21 coils put in which they did while I was awake and I hope I never have to go through owt like that again.

Oh yeah, for the first couple of days in hospital I saw ghosts everywhere. Very weird....

Could that not have been hallucinations due to the aneurysm?

Could that not have been hallucinations due to the aneurysm?
Good call,do they exist,dont they,used to have a girlfriend who was a nurse,twice when old people were dying they told her there were people waiting in the room to take them,one said they were waiting on top of a wardrobe,whoever or whatever "they" were she never found out.

Crushed by a fork lift truck, driver had jumped off it continued on its way at a slow speed. I had my back to it, and felt the load it was carrying push into my back. Things were getting serious I yelled just before things were going black, the driver stopped the truck at the last moment. Suffered spinal injuries and crushed knees, life changing.

I hope that driver was suitably punished.Could have killed you by his stupidity/incompetence.
Hit some aluminium ladders that had come off a van ahead on the A19. Car went in to a spin & was hit by a cement truck while it was spinning & clipped the kerb then somersaulted end over end until it came to a stop upside down in a field then burst into flames. Van driver got 3 points & a fine for having an unsecured load.

How did you get out of an upside down burning car?

Last edited:
Good call,do they exist,dont they,used to have a girlfriend who was a nurse,twice when old people were dying they told her there were people waiting in the room to take them,one said they were waiting on top of a wardrobe,whoever or whatever "they" were she never found out.

f***ing hell. How does she get to sleep?:eek:

I work for the NHS and a few nurses who have worked in hospitals claim they're haunted like.

Hit some aluminium ladders that had come off a van ahead on the A19. Car went in to a spin & was hit by a cement truck while it was spinning & clipped the kerb then somersaulted end over end until it came to a stop upside down in a field then burst into flames. Van driver got 3 points & a fine for having an unsecured load.

Sorry for double post....

Last edited:
Nothing as bad as others, but when I was a kid I was off school with whooping cough for a few months and was in pretty bad shape my dad says. Came off my bike one time as well and went over the handle bars and bounced on my head. Fortunately I had a helmet on as my mam insisted.

IED hit on my wagon 2009 - all good though
Caught in a mortar stomp 2006
Numerous shot ats
Patrolled into old Russian minefied 2006
Helo malfunction 2003 Kuwait
Helo glitch 2005 North Sea
Loads really, can’t evem remember half of them
Jayzu! Respect my man. Kida puts my 'scare' into perspective.

Back