Cleft Lips

Been thinking about the terrible but curious case of hair lips recently and why they actually form in the first place.Im intrigued to know if any of the board members have actually had one and are there any problems post correction procedure?They operations seem pretty good now and the scar is hardly noticeable but I’d imagine the mental scars will last forever.

I’ve also Personally noticed the link between twins in the family and Cleft Palates.

Been thinking about the terrible but curious case of hair lips recently and why they actually form in the first place.Im intrigued to know if any of the board members have actually had one and are there any problems post correction procedure?They operations seem pretty good now and the scar is hardly noticeable but I’d imagine the mental scars will last forever.

I’ve also Personally noticed the link between twins in the family and Cleft Palates.
Nee way. My mars a twin and our boy as a cleft pallet, but no hair lip. Wait till I tell her.

Our youngest had to have several trips to see an ENT surgeon for a different condition, and there were lots of kids with cleft lip/palate issues.

Iirc there were a day full of operations done each week.

My cousin has one, years of hospital visits for lip, mouth, teeth etc.

He speaks a little funny and it’s noticeable but Not so much you’d say, he’s got a cleft.

He’s just had a bairn of his own and he’s 100% fine.

Joaquin Phoenix has one doesn’t he

Yes he does, as does my daughter.

There are numerous ideas about what causes clefts, for some they seem to run in the family, for others like my daughter they are just a complete surprise.

Most kids are too young to get mental scarring from the surgery, that’s for the parents! But some people do have difficulty accepting their scar. As a former member of a cleft forum I couldn’t believe how stressed out some people were about a small scar, while others with more radical surgery were quite happy to go about confidently. Others blamed their scar on everything, good or bad, that had ever happened to them and gave an impression of simply being a walking scar.

To be fair, some parents, sadly, encouraged this sort of attitude. I remember strongly advising one mother that she shouldn’t go into her child’s primary school on his first day, to explain what a special fairy he was and how they should treat him with care. Way to paint a target on him for bullying for the rest of his school career!
There is also a link to mothers with epilepsy I believe (may count for fathers alone - not sure).

Smoking is also implicated in some.

You are probably experiencing confirmation bias.

Extract from... Risk of Oral Clefts in twins

Discussion
We found very little evidence of excess risk of oral cleft for twins compared with singletons. More specifically, we could not demonstrate an excess risk of oral cleft among monozygotic twins compared with singletons. While the concordance rate was highest for monozygotic twins, the concordance was highest among dizygotic twins than among ordinary siblings.

Last edited:
There is also a link to mothers with epilepsy I believe (may count for fathers alone - not sure).
Think it's more to do with medication rather than the illness itself. Topiramate use in mothers trebles the risk. Valproaic acid also increases the risk and that's used in epilepsy, to treat bipolar and mood swings in those with brain injuries. Most mental health teams have warning posted around waiting rooms and clinics urging patients to inform staff if they're trying to become pregnant and taking them.

Think it's more to do with medication rather than the illness itself. Topiramate use in mothers trebles the risk. Valproaic acid also increases the risk and that's used in epilepsy, to treat bipolar and mood swings in those with brain injuries. Most mental health teams have warning posted around waiting rooms and clinics urging patients to inform staff if they're trying to become pregnant and taking them.
Yeah, I hadn't read about it but was told about it by a friend. Makes sense on the medication.

Back