Cleaning DSLR Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taipeisafc

Striker
Anyone got any experience or advice on cleaning a digital camera sensor? I have been getting irritating specks on all my shots recently and after cleaning the lens and filters very carefully they were still present. So I locked up the mirror and had a look at the sensor and can see a couple of visible specks. I might ask Pentax Beijing to give me a price for cleaning but was wondering how easy it is to do yourself.

Last edited:

Anyone got any experience or advice on cleaning a digital camera sensor? I have been getting irritating specks on all my shots recently and after cleaning the lens and filters very carefully they were still present. So I locked up the mirror and had a look at the sensor and can see a couple of visible specks. I might ask Pentax Beijing to give me a price for cleaning but was wondering how easy it is to do yourself.

Depends how you want to do it - Dry sensor cleaning is relatively easy using the rocket blower, I've got one an artic butterfly brush which spins round and builds up a static charge before you wipe the sensor with it. It removes 80 odd % of the cack on your sensor - but if you have any thing stuck tighter than that, you need to go down the wet clean route.

I wet cleaned my old 40d a couple of times, but it was a bit scary. I bought a kit off fleabay, with the right size swab and fluid for the camera, (google is your friend) and tbh, the first couple of goes made it way worse. I used nearly all the swabs (9 or so) to get it done. You need plenty of light, plenty of time, and plenty of bottle!

I probably will take the new kit to get done professionally when it needs it - I don't think my nerves are up to doing it. The horror stories of scratched sensors scare my witless....

You pay your money - you takes your choice!

Not as scary as you might think. First off, turn the camera over and woosh the rocket blower in there to get shot of any loose bits, then use a pure cotton bud (not a cheap one they contain nylon fibres) dipped in 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and work across the chip in a sequence of downward strokes (don't rub backwards and forwards). You can't damage the sensor as there's an IR-block filter in front of it, but you can scratch this filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back