Claudio Marangoni

I agree. probably hindered Arnott's development who in my opinion had the natural talent to be a England player. Made poor choices :(
Kevin Arnott was an excellent player for us but his career just seemed to pitter out. Totally agree I also thought he could go to the very top. I honestly wouldn’t say Claudio had anything to do with it though.
1-0 win at Fulham
Marangoni curled from 25 yards.
I was there, I lived in the north east then and did a day trip on my own.
Wasn’t at that game but remember it. Fantastic goal. Remember us trying to sign Alex Sabella 650k 1979 I think but think we dodged a bullet there.

Last edited:

Kevin Arnott was an excellent player for us but his career just seemed to pitter out. Totally agree I also thought he could go to the very top. I honestly wouldn’t say Claudio had anything to do with it though.

Well only in so much that he took his place in the team IIRC. I remember the 3-1 defeat at St James where Claudio played and was really poor and I dont think Arnott was picked. I might be wrong like.

Remember coming home from the match with Dad and brother in the car and his car pulling up beside us....it was in the days of sponsored cars so his name was on the side in massive letters. We were dead excited when he waved back to us!!!!! Hahaha. Went on to greater things after us. In typical fashion his vision was too much for us!

Jo

Well only in so much that he took his place in the team IIRC. I remember the 3-1 defeat at St James where Claudio played and was really poor and I dont think Arnott was picked. I might be wrong like.
Always wondered how things went downhill for Arnott as I say really liked him. Remember him scoring the first goal against West Ham in that final game in 1980 on the Monday to clinch promotion for us. I think he left about a year later.

Always wondered how things went downhill for Arnott as I say really liked him. Remember him scoring the first goal against West Ham in that final game in 1980 on the Monday to clinch promotion for us. I think he left about a year later.
Drink. I think he was the most talented out of him, Rowell and Elliott and for different reasons none of them reached their absolute potential the latter two through injuries. Arnott especially when you watch him in those first couple of games in div 1 he dominates the game, superb. However he didn’t get on with Durban due to off field habits. Played for Chesterfield against us in Div 3.

An ex gfs younger brother was a huge Blades fan and his two favourite players were Joe Bolton and Kevin Arnott. More so thannCurrie and Sabella even. He was astonished I’d heard of them which confused me a bit as he knew who I supported. Turned out he thought they were Sheff Utd youth team graduates.

His debut was on a December afternoon against Cardiff. He found the pace of the game hectic and at one point collided with a team mate and was almost knocked out.
The Shrewsbury game was on a bitter cold Friday night when some teams had switched their games from the Saturday before Christmas.
Our crowd, around 21000 was the highest that night and topped the turn out at Arsenal.
I remember he always seemed to be the one who was substituted but his ability on the ball was undeniable.

Remember that night, you are correct, it was cold, in fact no , it was f***ing baltic in the Roker End. Crap game I seem to remember with Shrewsbury difficult to break down anarl.

Remember that night, you are correct, it was cold, in fact no , it was f***ing baltic in the Roker End. Crap game I seem to remember with Shrewsbury difficult to break down anarl.
Those were the nights .. most of them forgotten . I remember that night because of the cold and the last gasp winner which took us into the Christmas break.

Back