Claudio Marangoni

Like said , he was slow & couldn’t adapt to the pace of our game
Disappointing in a long list of likewise signings

couldnt believe we'd signed an Argentinian.

Went to see him play, full of expectation.

Waited. Went again. The realised he was, well..., the same as the rest of our players, pretty average.
Except of course he wasn’t later captaining independiante to a world super cup win beating Liverpool 3-0.

His debut was on a December afternoon against Cardiff. He found the pace of the game hectic and at one point collided with a team mate and was almost knocked out.
The Shrewsbury game was on a bitter cold Friday night when some teams had switched their games from the Saturday before Christmas.
Our crowd, around 21000 was the highest that night and topped the turn out at Arsenal.
I remember he always seemed to be the one who was substituted but his ability on the ball was undeniable.
I remember the Cardiff game well, the anticipation when we got a free kick 20 yards out at the fulwell end. He stepped up and put it about 10 yards over the bar. We all just looked at each other and went 'Hmmm'. Never really worked out for him after that

Me father in law used to say that he (Marangoni) would play "one two's" off the apponent's legs? Not that clever surely? Another player that we really wanted to do well. :cry:

I remember him as probably being mentally ahead of the rest of the team, trying things the rest of the team couldn’t get on the same wavelength With.
Physically he was just too slow for the English game and couldn’t handle the ’robustness’ of the game at that time.

I remember the tiker tape going up as he came out the game I think it was after the argues held and won the World Cup, on his debut class man, was only a bairn but sure he had a goal disallowed as well, in that game.

At least when we signed him it caused a great wave of excitement..not up to the Baxter level, but still.

Nowadays we get the return of Danny Graham to keep us all buzzed.

Marangoni started his playing career in 1974 with Chacarita Juniors he then joined San Lorenzo de Almagro in 1976.

In 1979, he joined Sunderland A.F.C. of England where he failed to settle, his contract was terminated in 1980 and he returned to Argentina.

Marangoni played one season for Huracán before joining Club Atlético Independiente in 1982. He won three major titles with the club, the 1983 Metropolitano followed by the Copa Libertadores and Copa Intercontinental in 1984.

In 1988, he left Independiente to join Boca Juniors where he won a further two international tournaments, the Supercopa Sudamericana 1989 and the Recopa Sudamericana 1990.

Upon retirement, Marangoni started Escuela Modelo de Futbol y Deportes, the first-ever professional soccer schools and sports clinics for Argentina's youth.

The schools serve children from age 3-13 and are franchised throughout the country, serving public and private schools, community centers, country clubs and businesses. Integral to the company's model is free tuition for underprivileged children. Since selection, he expanded his training schools to Chile and Spain.

His work was recognized by Endeavor (non-profit) and he was selected as an Endeavor Entrepreneur in 1999. Endeavor is a global non-profit that selects and supports High-Impact Entrepreneurship in emerging markets.

I remember him as probably being mentally ahead of the rest of the team, trying things the rest of the team couldn’t get on the same wavelength With.
Physically he was just too slow for the English game and couldn’t handle the ’robustness’ of the game at that time.
That's exactly how I remember him, laying balls off into space where our players should have been running into. The players were never there and it made him look crap.

Back